MIL Up for orders. What should I do

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mitsukillinsi, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Mitsukillinsi

Mitsukillinsi Active Member

Ok so its that time of my life again where Im up for orders. Im active duty Navy. I have been squadrons my whole career. I started in F-14's and now Im on F/A-18 Super Hornets. My evals are top notch (Im the #4 E-5 out of over 100.) I have every qual my command will allow me to get. Thats the basic rundown. I can either go to a squadron again and basically be able to hit the ground running or I can go to a ship start fresh with no clue whats going on Ill just be another E-5. Ive been doing the hi stress thing for a while now and even tho thats all Im used to it would be nice to be able to chill out for an enlistment and wind down a little bit

2. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

a promotion and an less hectic job? I would go with that

3. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Just to be clear, I read that as you're heading back to sea duty right? I'd go to a squadron and focus on making first. What's your rate?

4. Mitsukillinsi

Im an AO. I have been thinking about putting in an officers package more and more lately. I think I just need to do something different

5. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Do you want to be a gunner? If not, what kind of officer package are you looking at, STA-21? In my opinion, your best bet (as it sounds like you're making it a career) would be head back to a squadron, shine in the AO shop and pick up first quickly. You're already an EP so that should happen easily. Then kick ass for the next couple of years and you'll get some awesome evals so you'll look at chief with a competitive start.

6. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

go to a ship. if you want to relax for a few years, go to a gator.

7. Mitsukillinsi

I have a hookup to get orders to the wasp. That would be the boat I would go to. Im not a fan of going ships company on a carrier

Thats what has been going thru my head. I could go to another squadron and just kick ass there but im not thinking about being a gunner. Too much BS. I see what all the Gunners I have had over the years had to deal with. I was thinkin about being a pilot. Hopefully get Super Hornets.

8. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I hear you on the gunner thing man, our gunner is always pounding the deck. I can't offer any advice on being ship's company though, I've just always held the opinion that we have a better deal on the squadron side. Again, that's only based on what I've observed of the guys on the carrier. Be calm, surface navy guys :o How are you planning on getting commissioned though, OCS or STA-21 or what?

9. Mitsukillinsi

Right now Im looking at STA 21 that seems to be the best/easiest in terms of being accepted. I know it will be hard but hell once I get commisioned it cant be that bad. Well at least the pilots in my squadron seem to have it pretty easy

10. Terror Squad

Terror Squad New Member

Im an SK2. Now a recruiter. Gotta mix it up.

11. Mitsukillinsi

yeah you guys either have it real good or real shitty. never really seen an in between for you