untraceable e-mail

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sierraelement, Jan 15, 2005.

1. I want to send somebody at work an anonymous e-mail that he won't be able to trace back to me. Nothing harmful, threatening, or illegal, just info that he needs that he doesn't need to know came from me. What kind of e-mail account can I use to do this? He may send it to the IT department to trace, so I need it pretty reliable. I also need it where I don't have to install any of their programs on my computer and spam-free. Does such a beast exist?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2005
  2. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

I'm not aware of any programs, but you can always go to a public internet spot like a cafe or something, sign-up a new hotmail/yahoo account and send an email from there. If you're that terrified then pay your online time at the cafe by cash.

3. Moonwalker

Moonwalker fagulous

good suggestion... hell go to the public library and do it, they usually have internet access for free.

4. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

The IT guy won't be able to trace it back to a Yahoo account. To find out who you are he'd need to get your IP info from the webmail company (good luck), then submit your IP info to your ISP and try to find out who you are (good luck).

Just sign up a bogus hotmail account and you're done. As long as it isn't breaking the law you're fine.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=608303

This is illigal, and is no prosecutable in many states.

And just so you know, Hotmail/Yahoo/Gmail/etc are NOT safe/secure/anonymous. In fact, they are some of the easiest to get information out of.

6. 1. I'm not terrified. As a matter of fact I would love for him to know it was me that sent it. It's just not best for the department at this time -- politics and all.

2. It's not illegal. Learn to spell and type.

3. I've already thought of the remote computer at a library thing. It's a possibility, but not near as convenient as sending it from my home.

4. Since I'm getting conflicting info on Hotmail/Yahoo/G-Mail accounts, can anybody else give me some input on those?

7. MM983

MM983 New Member

I'm almost sure that your home IP will not be in the email header. The only thing that would be in there is the server it came from. Unless the material within the email was illegal.. the email company will not, under any circumstances, release the sender's IP.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're better off printing a piece of paper and leaving it on his desk.

9. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Sounds like BS or at least very childish... Such a big deal to hide your identity, or the ID department will find you. But not big enough to find a public computer...

Either way Yahoo, hotmail, etc include the originating IP address is the header....

Hotmail: X-Originating IP [x.x.x.x]
    Yahoo: Received: from [x.x.x.x] by web41705.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP;
    You can be the judge how usefull that is.

10. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

use a proxy and email him from yahoo/hotmail. Unless it's george bush and you're sending death threats he won't find out who you are.

11. That's what I'm beginning to think.

12. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Public Lib + Hotmail

or

Public Lib + Telnet to port 25 :naughty:

And jollyogre....I don't see how this is illegal. Do tell.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what legitimite reason do you have for hiding your identity from an email? The only reasons I can think of are to either a) piss someone off and you don't want to own up because you're a pansy-bitch b) it's illegal and you don't wanna get caught.

If you know of a c) I'd like to hear it.

14. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Think of it this way:

1. I can buy a gun (or in this case...send an email anonymously)
    2. I can use that gun to kill a person (or in this case....doing something illegal via email)

Step 1 in either case isn't illegal, step 2 is. And he is only asking how to do step 1.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yes, but obtaining a gun with false information on your background check *is* illegal.

Be responisble.. WHY is he asking? It's very reasonable to assume that he will use this to an illegal end, so why promote that?

And you didn't answer the question : What is a legitimite use for what he is asking?

16. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

This is going no where....

One example:
    Say he wants to tell someone something personal but wants to remain anonymous. Like maybe he knows a friend's wife is cheating on a their SO...wants to tell him...but doesn't want to get involved in any way.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you're that concerned that he not know it's you, then you shouldn't be telling him... bottom line.

18. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

This is a thread about computers, he stated it's not for illegal purposes which is very believable, is there any need to keep arguing over it?

19. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

find mail server with open relay.... send through there

20. I don't know how to find a mail server with an open relay. I don't even know what an open relay is or how to work it when I do find it.

To satisfy jollyogre: It's basically to tell him he's screwing stuff up. He isn't that fond of being told that due to his micro-management and ego. I've confronted him face-to-face in the past and it's gotten me absolutely nowhere but blackballed. He's the type that once he's got a way to do something in his mind, nobody except someone that outranks him can tell him different -- no matter how irrational it is. Due to our past conflicts I know it would be like talking to a brick wall if he knew it was for me, but I'm hoping that he may take advice from somebody else. A couple of my co-workers have been down the same path I've been with being blackballed, and the rest are either totally complacent or don't want to cause waves. This is pretty much my last-ditch effort before going above his head and telling his boss what's been going on.

There's my c), bitch.