SRS unsure of the diagnoses...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cgnmd0819, May 23, 2006.

1. cgnmd0819

cgnmd0819 New Member

Well--My boyfriend has been seeing a psychiatrist and she has put him on different medications.. I was just wondering if there was someone out there that could give me a diagnoses of what they think she is treating him for...

She had him on Zoloft, Kolopin, and Ambien..

She just switched him to Zoloft, Risperdal, and Ambien..

She told him he doesn't need the Ambien just when he feels he needs it..

I know what each of them are used for, but I'm not completely understanding his diagnoses.. as far as what she has diagnosed him with..
    I'm assuming Depression, anxiety, mood swings... but I dunno..

I was reading up on Risperdal... and it's used for Bipolar, but I know that my boyfriend is not bipolar---unless he has been diagnosed with the depressive bipolar because he doesn't get manic.. I understand there are different types of bipolar because it actually runs in my family.. so ..

I guess I was just wondering if someone could help me out to understand what his diagnoses is.. and if there are any psychiatrist out there it would be a great help! :) Thanks

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Zoloft is typically for depression, although since im no doctor i won't go as far as real life diagnosis, let alone behind a computer. Do you think your bf is (honest reply) mentally stable enough to stay in a relationship?

3. cgnmd0819

cgnmd0819 New Member

My boyfriend and I have been dating over 2 years.. We both are having emotional strains.. but we are both getting the help we need.. We have been through too much to give up on a relationship.. I'm thinking once I get on some kind of medication that it will help our relationship out as well.. I know that my bf is going through a lot and has been for a while because of his friend committing suicide two years ago and he hasn't gone through the grieving process until just recently..

4. 2500

2500 Guest

if hes your boyfriend, why don't you just ask him? like, isn't that something you guys can talk about? :ugh:

maybe once you find out whats wrong, you guys can look into some alternative treatment options and get him off those meds he doesn't need. hate to see these problems come back once he stops the meds. unless hes suffering from a lack of serotonin.

5. Wolvish

Wolvish New Member

zoloft is an antidepressant and ambien is a sleep medication :dunno:

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

"Diagnosing" (guessing) your boyfriend's diagnosis from the medication he is prescribed is not a good idea. Here's an ide: ask him, and he can ask his doctor. Who'd have thought?

Yes, there are different types of Bipolar Depression, and he doesn't have to get manic, as you're familiar with the word.

Zoloft would be for depression (the sadness kind) or anxiety.

Ambien would be for sleep. Insomnia.

The other two could be used for a variety of problems/disorders, mostly having to do with mood swings and anxiety.

Talk to your boyfriend. Try not to be an evil sneaky bitch. Boys hate that.

7. 2500

2500 Guest

sleep meds are sometimes given to anxiety patients to help them lay and sleep, instead of lay and worry or think. when i was diagnosed with anxiety, they tried putting me on sleep meds also. i didn't have, problems sleeping, persay..... but they thought it would be a good idea, so when i lay down, i will sleep and not worry and stuff.

bottom line. he knows why hes on the meds. just talk to him if hes your boyfriend. it should be something you guys could discuss.

8. Hootahz314

Hootahz314 I have daddy issues

Risperdal is an anti psychotic. It's given to people with bipolar disorder as well as schizophenic patients.. it has a variety of uses.. You can't diagnose just by his pills. I recommend what Peyomp says.. ask. By the way, normally people with bipolar disorder are given some sort of mood stabilizer (according to the questions I asked my own doctor) like Depakote, Lithium, Tegretol, Lamictal (also known as anti convulsants for seizure patients). Those are just a few.. I've been on 3 out of the 4 for bipolar.

9. cgnmd0819

cgnmd0819 New Member

I'm brought it up with him, but he doesn't know exactly what he has been diagnosed with ..within the last year he has switched to night shift at a different job and seems to be very forgetful as well.. I will try asking him again, but I don't want to be a pest.. how do I go about asking him about it again without getting him irritated with me?

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Well, do you talk about the problems he's having, how his treatment is going?

Why are you so interested? Is a label really important to you?

11. 2500

2500 Guest

so, hes on and off all those meds, but he doesn't know why?

um....... do you see a possible problem with that? he needs to talk to his doctor and figure out WHY hes taking them.....

12. cgnmd0819

cgnmd0819 New Member

A label isn't important..it's just I get concerned about him.. I just want to make sure that she isn't going overboard with meds for him.. afterall after his first appointment with her she had him on 3 meds already.. therapy sessions are going good, we don't get into the bulk of the meat.. simply because he gets upset about thinking about it.. His friend did commit suicide and it's not really something he likes to talk about which I can understand..

13. cgnmd0819

cgnmd0819 New Member

he hassn't been on and off the meds.. he's steadily been on them

14. cgnmd0819

cgnmd0819 New Member

My boyfriend informed me that she said three things.. but he can only remember 2 of the diagnoses.. He's going to try finding out the third.. and try remembering for me... Depression and Anxiety are two of the three.. I'm just curious as too what the third is.. any suggestions?

15. 2500

2500 Guest

well, panic disorder goes hand in hand with anxiety sometimes. does he suffer from panic attacks?

i'd say your best bet would just be ask the Dr. they can tell him right away and theres no guessing as to what it is.

and when i said on and off, i meant that they started on one set, and changed it up and stuff. they did the same to me. luckily i was smart enough to get off the meds before i became dependant on them.