SRS Unprovoked panic attacks?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dmar, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Dmar

Dmar Jump

Anyone else get these? I'm happy with my life, don't really have any phobias. Not overly stressed. Pretty normal.

Had my first one in January. At the time I didn't know what it was. I could feel my heart beating rapidly (~180), I felt faint, had tingling in my feet, some shaking, tightness in throat. I ended up going to the hospital because I thought I might be having a heart attack or something (pretty ridiculous for 20 y.o. with absolutely no history of any health problems, extended family included). Got a full battery of blood tests, EKG...everything came back perfectly normal and I was discarged in a few hours. I had heart palpitations for a few months after that (and some anxiety when I had them), but those eventually went away.

At the beginning of October I had a really bad panic attack. I kept worrying I was dying, but I kept fighting it by telling myself how ridiculous that was and that it's all in my head. I've been getting them on and off since. They tend to come grouped together, like a few over the course of a week and then none for awhile. Some are different than others...sometimes I feel nauseaus...sometimes it feels like the inside of my body is shaking and ready to explode or something. They all seem to start for no reason at all.

I went to the infirmary yesterday. The doctor available ordered another round of blood tests just to check, and had me schedule an appointment with my GP and someone in mental health for medication.

What should I expect? I don't really want to take anything on a daily, permanent basis like Zoloft or Prozac. I feel great most of the time when I'm not having a panic attack or in between attacks. Can I just get something to take as-needed when I feel like I'm having one?

Will they eventually go away? What can I do to make it better? I'm planning on looking into meditation, getting back into a regular exercise routine, and eating better.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

http://www.anxietypanic.com/

Panic attacks are actually pretty common with a lot of people, and this website gives exellent information on that.

3. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

My family has a history of panic/anxiety attacks. My uncle, mom and older sister all have to take medication for it.

I've had them since high school, and I did the same thing as you. I realized what was happening, so I was able to psych myself out of them. I no longer have the attacks all that often(they come back now and then)...however the symptoms are still pretty common.

I started getting a bit scared because I had those same heart problems....I'd be sitting there watching TV and my heart rate would sky rocket above 200...I'd have chest pains, difficulty breathing...etc.

I just went and got an EKG and Stress Echo Gram...and everything turned out "normal"....however I am still having the symptoms and its bothering me.

So I have another appointment on the 21st....because it's actually getting a lot worse, I've been very anxious lately, I can deal with that....but the physical symptoms are a bit scary due to them being pretty extreme lately.

Oh yeah, and I'm 20 too :sad2:

edit:

And I've been playing sports since I was 5 years old. I was a bit over weight early in highschool due to me playing football....but I was still very healthy. I still played basketball and lacrosse at that weight. Always had a pretty good diet, was always active, fit...etc. So that shouldn't be an issue with me.

4. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

These are physical symptoms but panic disorder (or whatever the English term is) is a psychological disorder that has to do with anxiety. Maybe seeking professional help to deal with this anxiety will help you get rid of those panic attacks.

5. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

I've had one panic attack... since then, anxiety here and there. Nothing permanent, very much on and off: the only thing that's permanent in my case is a perfect awareness of my heartbeat. If I lie down on my left side, I can easily feel it against the bed... things like that.

Perfect pressure, blood tests, ekg, etc...

The trick is not giving a shit anymore: when I have issues, I just tell myself to stfu and do something to keep busy. It's been better lately.

6. J52k2

J52k2 New Member

Try to find something to distract yourself when you feel anxious or feel like you are having a panic attack. I myself have had unprovoked attacks, everything is fine and then all of a sudden my heart starts racing and I get chest pains. I called up one of my best friends and just talked to him for about an hour and the attack went away. Not reccomending this, but one time I had one I got myself drunk and forgot all about it. Sometimes you can get perscribed xanax/valium for panic attacks and they dont have to be taken over a long period of time, only when you feel like you need them.

7. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

Exactly. If you need them, benzodiazepine derivatives like Clonazepam really help by offering quick relief. Otherwise, keep yourself busy by playing a game or doing some exercise.

I don't personally recommend anti-anxiety drugs like Zoloft or Paxil unless your anxiety is persistent. For example, I'll have anxiety on Monday and for the rest of the week, I'll be perfectly fine: in my case, one clonazepam pill would suffice to calm me down for that day...

It's all about finding the psychological trigger for your anxiety and either destroying it, or finding ways to avoid it.

8. Minh Lam

Minh Lam Active Member

I like the advice and support in this thread. Good work guys.
    I suffer from panic attacks too. I suffer from a mild form of tourettes and I too have heart palpitations. Extra ectopic beats that feel like a strong thump.
    And recently had eye floaters. Seems like whenever I start to think of these ailments I start to feel down and sad and sometimes get into panic attacks. Its so stupid. I know. Maybe I got a weak ass mind.

Some people have medical problems but it doesnt bother them at all.
    besides that Im fit, Im fast. Im strong and have a good build. I play rugby league (australian football).

As someone mentioned in an above post , maybe i just need to tell myself to stfu sometimes and move in. Its hard though because when you start to panic your mind kinda slips into it

9. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

I went through the exact same thing you did, and i wasnt depressed either. Its anxiety building from something. I was put temporarily on Zoloft, which SUCKED, then Prozac and counseling, which has helped immensly. It's temporary, get some help and you'll be fine.

Remember, panic attacks arent dangerous, just uncomfortable.