Unnacounted for gigabytes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soren, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Ok I have a bout 6 gigs worth of large files, 1 gig of music, 5 gigs of programs. According to my hardrive space, I should have 22 more gigs of space (taking into account the windows install). Yeah i have lots of small files, a vast majority less than a 1 MB, but where are all these gigabytes going? I did a disc cleanup and got rid of temp files and all.

2. Scn64

Scn64 Guest

Are you running Norton Systemworks?

3. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I am guessing the small files are just large enough to take up a couple clusters and you are losing lots of space there.

5. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

sorry? Isn't a 300 KB file three hundred kilobytes no matter what? Would 300 KB take up more space somehow if you have a lot?? :confused:

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

When you format your drive, the drive is broken up into clusters (allocation units) of x bytes by the OS. If a file fills up only part of one cluster, it still counts as full (in other words, files can't share allocation units). This is usually only a problem when you have lots of small files. For NTFS on XP, the allocation unit size can be between 512 bytes to 4k. Larger sizes inprove performance at the expense of disk space.

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Like EvilSS said. A lot of small files can take up more space then the actualy size of the files.

To check this out open notepad and type one character. Save it to the desktop and then look at it properties. Notice the size will say something like 1 byte, but the size on disk will be something like 4KB (my system is NTFS with 4KB cluster sizes). That file is actualy taking up 4KB.

8. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

defragment, and man you have like no warez.... I have 180+ gb you have 5 tssk tsssk

9. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

ah i see... so its better to have smaller allocation unit sizes? What can you do to change them?

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Try O&O defrag's Space Defrag setting first, because you have to reformat to change the allocation unit sizes.