Unknown icon *pic* v.helpmeoutplz

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rizzler, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Rizzler

Rizzler OTTC #420

I already posted this in the main forum (stupid move but hey)

Anyone recognise this icon? I can't explain it but it seems like this little fucker is the source of my PC troubles. Well maybe not source... but anyone with a bit of information will really help me out.

Ok.. well im an avid Bit torrent user and i use the same directory for all my downloads. I recently downloaded Doom the movie (yes bad choice, but i ran out of things to download) and for some reason everytime i clicked on the folder directory, which i named 'BT downloads' for obvious reasons, explorer crashes. Now i'd understand that by accessing FILES u can cause shit to crash/fuck up/erase ur shit. I know that downloaded .exe files are the devil incarnate and a utopia for viruses but how is it that everytime i just go into this folder to merely look at the files i downloaded it crashes?

Then i caught a glimpse of this little icon to the left (the film thing) flickering a few times on the taskbar when i access the folder. It never appears unless i click on that folder and subsequently crashes explorer. I think whatever's happening, that icon will lead me in the right direction. So... any OTer's out there willing to lend a hand?
    [​IMG]

*CLIFFS*
    Explorer crashes when i access my Bit Torrent download folder, caught this icon flickering in the notification error area before crashing, notices that it only appears before crashing. Asking OT for help in recognising the fucker.

Thanks in advance for helping :wiggle:

And if i get no replies... :madfawk: u all

2. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

do you notice any other ill effects on the computer other than crashing when you try to access the folder?

try booting to Safe Mode and seeing if you can access the folder. see what happens there. its a good start.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Which icon are you talking about? The second from the right?

Have you tried to run a spyware scan? Check your startup folder? msconfig?

4. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

icon all the way on the left... the little movie lookin film thinger. just under the '58' part of whatever that monitor is for in the pic.

5. Rizzler

Rizzler OTTC #420

The wierd thing is... i manage to get into the folder sometimes, even though the window saying explorer needs to shut down is up. So i deleted DOOM the movie and all of a sudden i can access the folder... That little thing still shows up though. I got some advice with hijackthis so i'll check if its some spyware.

6. Rizzler

Rizzler OTTC #420

Yeah far left.. sorry the image quality is terrible.. should have saved it as BMP.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Missed that part in your post. Looks like a printer icon that I have from one of my HP printers.

Yea, check out your running processes in hijack this. Hopefully you'll be able to find something you don't recognize.

8. about:blank

about:blank Whether you think that you can or that you can't,

looks like a movie player icon. I had the same problem with crashing when I attempted accessing my pictures folder with the thumbnails view. Change your view to details before accessing the folder.

9. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

Looks like an older quicktime icon to me :o

10. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Perhaps that folder has previews enabled. These require functional directshow plugins to work properly. Perhaps the filter for that particular format is choking on the video clip for whatever reason, causing explorer to crash.

Just a guess.

11. Mi[G]hTy

Mi[G]hTy New Member

IT IS FROM A MOVIE CODEC, you downloaded and installed it yourself. It is the ffdshow control thing whenever you open a movie file that uses it or something it shows up in systray.