UNIX system Admin internship worth it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by raand, Feb 25, 2008.

1. raand

raand New Member

So I am looking at unix system admin internships and I am wondering if anyone knows what they do and if it would be a good place for a Computer Engineering major

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

hmm, do you want to become a unix admin after you graduate? or a computer engineer? or don't know?

if you wanna be a unix admin, yes.
    if you want to focus on the engineering side, no.
    if you don't know and don't have other options, yes.

i was a computer engineering major and didn't want to do it anymore when i graduated so i because a unix admin or worked towards becoming one and never looked back.

3. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

never a bad idea to be good at unix

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i think it would be good for you. Even if you're going to stick on the hardware side, it's very marketable to know *nix -- especially with all the neat hardware devices that are using stripped *nix distros to provide functionaility.

5. RiSk

RiSk New Member

What are you looking to do when your done? are you just going to use the degree to get your self in the door at places or are you really going to do the engineering part? If the answer is no to the engineering part... the by all means get a Unix gig, when you get out you can make 50k to start and there is plenty of room to grow.

6. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Exactly. Other than a programming internship, this would be a very good way to get some experience.

7. raand

raand New Member

Thanks a lot to all of you, I am not totally sure what I want to do so I am just applying everywhere. I have an interview for this one tomorrow so wish me luck.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

A solid Unix foundation will be an overwhelming asset for you if you work on Unix systems in any capacity.

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

if you get it, i would grab it. one of the biggest issues i've seen with so many programmers is that they have so little concept of the world from a sys admin's point of view. then, they end up trying to build things that break best practice.

the best programmers and DBAs that i've worked with over the years generally had a very good understanding of the OS and seemed to have some experience from the other side of the fence.

10. raand

raand New Member

:x::x:allright sounds great, I only hope the interview goes well