UNIX/Solaris peeps: Is sendmail required to deliver mail?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Feb 4, 2010.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Do we need to have sendmail running in order to deliver mail? We already disabled listening on a port so it can't receive or forward mail from outside, but do we even need the service running?

2. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

3. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

Well, if you're using an alternative to sendmail, there shouldn't be a problem.

4. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

if you have no use for sendmail, you should'n't have a problem.

5. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

If you intend to perform mail-transfer and/or deliveries and aren't using an alternative and sendmail is your utility, you have a problem.

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

that's what i was thinking. every so often my boss asks if we can get rid of sendmail and just point to our exchange server. i've told him time and time again that we need sendmail to actually get mail off of the unix host to the exchange server.... he's asked it so many times that i end up doubting my answers. :)

7. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

:rofl:!

8. HY

HY New Member

you can get sendmail off of the servers. what applications are currently sending mail? most of the time they can be pointed to a remote mail server but that needs to be done on a application by application basis.

there are also programs that can do this automatically, for example you can uninstall sendmail and replace with postfix or something.

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

they're just using mailx which has no configuration to point to an external SMTP server. this is exactly what i thought, but wasn't certain. like i said, i just wanted to double check because i've been telling my boss that it was required, but wanted to make sure i wasn't overlooking something.