UNIX and Accounting.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by [AWD] Major Dumps, Aug 7, 2005.

1. [AWD] Major Dumps

[AWD] Major Dumps ahhhh this is a good dump

Here's a doozie. My mom is a self employed pediatrician and my dad is a self employed dentist. my dad does EVERYTHING right and handles internal control to a degree that some would say is opressive. in short, he's never had money stolen from him by his employees.

my mother, by contrast, doesn't do squat about internal control and has no accountability for any of her employees. in the past few years, she's been making substantially less money than normal but sees the same volume of patients. this is cause for suspicion, because she really presents herself as an easy target.

the problem: my dad wants to audit what accounting records she has to see if money is disappearing. she curently uses the MOMS practice management system on a UNIX server. this is straight unix, not linux. i've played around with a lot of linux, and i'm pretty good at it. BUT, i've got almost no experience with a raw UNIX environment. the system was built in 1997. my dad and i need to get access to the accounting records without the folks in the office knowing. anyone know how or have a good manual on getting in, looking at what we need, erasing the tracks and getting out? if one of her employees finds out we're doing an audit AND is stealing, they'll skip the country before we have time to prosecute. one of the employees' husbands is a UNIX engineer, i need to be able to cover my tracks sufficiently. my dad doesn't want to hire techs to do this because he's cheap and it might not amount to anything.

anyone got manuals, getting started guides or quick words of wisdom before i tear through 100+ pages tonight?

cliffs: i have 1997 UNIX system. i help getting started with using this environment and i need to know information about log files, text editors and creating new super user accounts. i have consent of the owner of the system to discreetly retrive records for a financial audit.

2. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

If you have consent of the owner, just have him give you the root password...As the owner, he should have it.

3. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Also, what unix is it? solaris? bsdi? sco? xenix(rofl)?

4. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

He wants to catch and prosecute an embezzler, but doesn't want to pay a professional to do it right?

Forget it.

5. [AWD] Major Dumps

i just need to be able to take the records out of the moms system and send them to the printer. not a problem right? is there a way to get rid of the tracks? once the transaction records are off, my job is over. the folks that know how to do accounting take over and it's not a problem.

6. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Can you please answer this.

I only have experience with SCO and data can be easily accessed from anywhere in the world if the said embezzler has a VPN connection and the proper passwords. Does that office have an internet connection?

7. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Not necessarily. IBM is shipping a lot of linux these days.

8. [AWD] Major Dumps

well shit. i need to go look at it again. i'll probably have an answer for you later tonight.