University, blocking my goods! Can I test for this?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lemurballs, Oct 11, 2006.

1. lemurballs

lemurballs Don't Look Back In Anger

@ my school, i'm pretty sure that torrents are blocked, and i've been using usenet newsgroups for a good 2 months getting great speeds. but today my downloads are 1.00kb/s or less! Think they locked it down? Anyway to test for this?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes, there is a fairly simple test.

1. Are you downloading illegal shit on someone else's network?
    2. Are they smart enough to figure out how to stop you from doing this?

If you answered yes (or even maybe) to both of these questions, then your illegal shit is being blocked.

3. BradNowell

BradNowell New Member

Deus is right. A lot of schools, because so many people are pirating illegal movies and things, which they (the school) can get into trouble for, have implemented bandwidth throttling and/or blockers or similar measures, and I'm sure there's a way that they can tell if you're suddenly DLing tons of material that isn't supposed to be being pirated. Some schools kick people out for that stuff.

4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Not to mention it hogs the bandwidth of students who are actually using the network for legitimate reasons. :ugh:
    If you insist on pirating, order your own connection through the local cable or telephone company.

5. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

BitTorrent is a sweet distribution technology (for students as publishers especially - it's a godsend).

'Tis pretty damn ignorant to assume any given person who uses BT uses it for illegal purposes. You won't find that shit in courts (at least I can hope not).

6. BradNowell

BradNowell New Member

Oh, that is true. Bittorrents can be used really easily and for a lot of good things. It's cool technology.

I don't mean to sound awful about it - but a lot of people do use it for illegal purposes, and I think the assumption, and particularly on college campuses, I think, is that if people are torrenting, they are doing something illegal with it, they are stealing movies or other copyrighted material. Guess it's like just the bad people who ruin it for everyone, because most of what you hear about torrents is about people ripping off the MPAA, etc.

7. lemurballs

lemurballs Don't Look Back In Anger

time to switch to local qwest dsl :naughty:

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's also stupid to assume that everyone in possession of cocaine intends to get high or sell it for quick money. It is, after all, a perfectly legitimate anesthetic and it's still widely used in hospitals. You never know when you're going to get shot, right?