GUN Universal Clays powder problem

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I need your help reloaders!

I purchased a 1lb container of Hodgdon Universal Clays powder to do .45 ACP and .45 Colt. A friend and I reloaded two different bullet weights and two different powder charges each in .45 Colt and went to the range. They were all very inconsistent one of them was about as light as a .22 in my Uberti 1873. There was also lots of powder "flakes" in the casings and on my gun. I've only ever reloaded with Varget, but I can't imagine this is common for pistol powder. Any insight into this would be helpful. I already emailed Hodgdon about it, I'll see if I get a response.

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

When you ask for reloading help you should give the load data (powder, powder charge, bullet type and weight, overall lenght, crimp, and primer). This way somebody might actually be able to help you.

Not having any idea of what you your load is it could be a 100 different reasons. It could be you don't have enough crimp and the bullet leaves before all the powder is burned. It could be there is a lot of dead space in the case and your getting a double ignition (this is dangerous btw). It could be your really inconsistent with your powder throws. I could go on and on but what's the point.

3. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I am using 7.1 grains of powder with a 230 grain Sierra JHP. I used CCI standard large pistol primers. My dies are Lee. I use a Lee powder thrower to dispense powder, and as far as I can tell it is giving me accurate powder charges. When I set it up for the powder, I checked it on my scale around 8 times to make sure the charge was consistant before I loaded any cartridges. The primers are new, I bought them the day before I loaded these rounds. I've got the bullets seated at 1.582" OAL. I have a very minimal crimp, which is about the only other thing I can guess would cause a pressure problem.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

That is plenty of powder so it is not a double ignition. This is almost a double load. I would check your load data. Are you trying for a seriously hot load? I don't load 45 colt or 45 acp so I'm going strictly by the load data I find on the manufacturers site. Anyway regading crimp...

load on round like how you had before. Then back out the knob on the crimp die. Place the loaded round back into the crimp station and seat it into the die. Turn the knob on the crimp die until it is tight on the loaded round. Back the round out of the crimp die. Now give the crimp die knob an additional 1/2 turn. If it is still giving you problems do the above but give it a 3/4 turn.

After you fire the cases look to see if you have any blow by. This is when the bullet leaves but the powder is still burning. You'll see a burn mark down one side of the case.

According to hodgdon for 45 colt they recomend 4.4 grains of clays and for 45 acp 3.7 grains of clays. This might be why you are getting a lot of unburnt powder. So I guess if a hot load is your goal I would find a faster powder. Something that will burn before the bullet leaves the case.

5. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

That's one of the things I am emailing Hodgdon about. They have two powders, Clays and Universal Clays. I purchased Universal Clays. The minimum load for Clays is 4.4 grains, however the minimum load for Universal Clays is 6.5 grains. Kinda confusing.

I will try crimping them a bit tighter next time though. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: A gentleman at Hodgdon emailed me back and told me to crimp the casing tighter. :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008