MIL United 93 ***SPOILERS INSIDE***

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SweetDaddyO, May 2, 2006.

1. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

anyone see it this past weekend?

i thought it was fantastic. very, very well done. it filmed in a way that almost made you think you were watching firsthand footage of what happened that day in air traffic control centers, military command centers, and of course the plane itself. it didn't try to be over-dramatic, and it didn't try to place blame or evoke strong emotions (which it does anyway - it was a difficult movie to watch at times). it simply tried to show the truth (or what the filmmaker researched and believed the truth to be) really brings you right back to that fateful day.

i was very impressed with how it was able to retain so much realism, without making you angry at the mistakes that were made or making anyone look incompetent. the military commanders (mainly a couple AF colonels and a major) came off looking very professional, yet extremely frustrated by the confusion that abounded during a situation that no one ever considered happening.

two parts that stuck in my mind were when the commander at NEADS (northeast air defense sector), in a very frustated tone, barked at a general on the phone, saying "i can't defend the fucking eastern seabord with four aircraft!", and when after finding out the first fighter we successfully scrambled was unarmed, the same colonel unhesitatingly said "we can ram the airliner. we can tell him to ram it, and then eject." the fact that such an option was considered really brought back the gravity of the day and the seriousness of the threat.

one other thing - the last 20 minutes or so of the movie (the passenger revolt) were terrifyingly amazing. i honestly hadn't felt like i did during a movie scene since the opening half hour of saving private ryan. i was white-knuckled the entire time. somehow you still root for the passengers, you still somehow hope for a different ending even though you know what happens.

it's also been a while since a movie theater was DEAD SILENT at the end of the movie.

anyway, i just thought i'd share. it's a great movie and i urge every American to go and see it, and maybe remind yourselves a little bit of why we're engaged around the world right now bringing the fight to the enemy.

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I plan on seeing it this weekend. Looking forward to it!

3. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I am a bit baffled as to how they made an entire movie about it.:dunno:

4. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

Not gonna see it

Glad you enjoyed it :bigok:

5. SweetDaddyO

it kinda goes back and forth between a few different agencies and locations during the movie. it would show 10 minutes or so of people boarding the plane, then switch to different air traffic control centers, FAA headquarters, and eventually the NEADS HQ as the events of the day unfolded.

the last 20 or 30 minutes are purely events on Flight 93 when the passengers fought back.

it's an amazingly captivating movie, believe me.

6. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

I'm glad that you liked it. But I probably won't go and see it. At least not now. I still look down or close my eyes when I see footage of the planes going into the WTC Towers. But those memories are engraved in my head. It reminds me why I'm doing this.

7. SweetDaddyO

it was tough on a lot of people in the theater. my friend (who is female if you're wondering), cried during almost the entire movie. several other guy friends watched, like i did, in a sort of stunned daze that brought moments of anger and moments of fighting back tears.

it is difficult to watch, and i understand some people might not be ready for it, but i would urge you to watch it eventually, maybe after the video is out or something.

i will show my children this movie at some point in their lives, that's for sure

8. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Does the movie end with the hijackers putting the plane into the ground?

9. SweetDaddyO

in a way. it ends with a struggle in the cockpit, and the hijacker puts the aircraft into an unrecoverable attitude while the passengers attempt to get him off the controls. it pans up to a view of what they must have seen out of the windscreen, with the ground rushing up at the plane (which is almost inverted at this point). the screen goes black at impact and remains black for about 30 seconds, before a few screens of text come up.

there was no sound in the theater when the screen went black. no coughing, no cell phones, no applause, no crying. just silence. it was eerie.

10. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

I think its kinda disgusting that they made a movie about this when no one really knows for sure what happened inside the plane during its last few minutes of flight.

11. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I haven't seen the movie, but I believe the plane was shot down- regardless if there was a struggle or not.

12. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

I'm glad to hear it was done well, will have to go see it when I can.

13. SweetDaddyO

the nearest fighters were over 100 miles away at the time. the few that were able to get in the air were being scrambled to protect manhattan and the capital by establishing combat air patrols.

it makes a nice conspiracy theory, but it's not true.

14. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I don't think it's necessary, but I went ahead and added a spoiler warning to the thread title.

15. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

you don't know that :hsugh:

16. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm going to see it the day before I ship to boot.

17. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

I don't think it's been long enough to start making movies about it.

18. RLiu818

RLiu818 Active Member

I think its kinda disgusting and retarded that you think a movie is suppose to be 100% accurate.

Did you expect the following movies, all of which were great, to be 100% accurate?

Braveheart
    Saving Private Ryan
    Apollo 13
    Schindler's List

No one knows for sure what happened exacgtly in the past, specifically these historical tragedies. Only research and studies can be done to obtain the most accurate information possible, in order to attempt to recreate what we perceive happened in the past.

19. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

All movies which happened a long time ago.

Braveheart, SPR, and Schindlers List are all movies based on historical events on which there is a wealth of information, and because these events were either so massive in scale or happened so long ago, making a fictional movie based on the events isn't that bad or it is justified, because people can reasonably expect to believe they are seeing a fictional movie based on a historical event, not a true story that actually happened.

This event was recent, still fresh in many memories. The event covered in this movie was small, very intimate in nature because it takes place with names, places, and things which we are all familiar with. However, because there is still mystery surrounding what actually happened, it is seriously fucking appalling that they would come out with this movie and say "here ya go, this is what happened" when no one knows for sure.

I don't think the movie should be 100% accurate. However, I do think we should know for sure exactly what happened before packaging it up and selling it.

20. RLiu818

RLiu818 Active Member

You can NEVER know exactly what happened unless you are there. You almost always will be told what happened, either from a loved one, or the government. It's up to you to decide whether you want to believe what you are told. Any document, book, magazine, journal you read that tells the story of what happened from the writer's point of view is just that, a single perspective. Whether the source is credible, believable, or legit, is up to your own judgement.

In the case of the movie, the director had a main source of information for this docudrama; and that is the government, and the news agencies. They all told the same story. Did you think a director would rely on chain mail, and internet forums to use as research for this movie? I assure you, there are people that know for sure what happened on that flight, and these people [of the higher power] will only disclose information they believe should be disclosed in the best interest of the American People. Just like if your grandfather passes away, only the good will be said about him at the funeral. People will remember him as a great man, regardless of how he truly lived his life.

I just don't understand how you find this movie apalling. A movie director presents a movie in his own point of view on what he believed happened, based on his research, which im sure he has done plenty of. How are you to accuse him when you probably relied on chain mail, and internet forums to base your beliefs on what happenened on that tragic day.

21. NPH

NPH Guest

Why are people bitching about spoilers?! Who doesn't know what happened on that day period... :ugh:

22. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

I understand it is from his point of view. However, since this is an event that actually happened, and happened recently, by making this movie he is saying "This is it, this is what happened. End of story."

I find that disgusting because there is still so much controversy over it.

23. SweetDaddyO

have you read any articles about the movie, or anything the director has said?

the movie is his best guess as to what happened during the confusing last minutes - it's based on tons of research, government findings, news media findings, and interviews with the family members of those on the plane. he interviewed some people who even talked to people on the plane that day.

lots of the movie is "fact." the communication between air traffic control, the military, and FAA headquarters is pretty well documented, and he doesn't deviate from it - like someone else said, the 9/11 commission report is almost like a script for this movie.

believe me, he didn't make this movie in a hollywood, entertainment-focused way. there are no hollywood-style fight scenes, big emotional speeches, or anything else that would take away from the grim reality of what those people went through. this is truly what he thinks the truth probably was based on all his research, and it's VERY well done. family members of those killed on 9/11 even vouched for the movie.

it's perfectly valid to do that as a filmmaker, and you should see the movie before criticizing it IMO.

24. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

You are perfectly entitled to you opinion on the matter.

25. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

As a matter of fact, I have. That has nothing to do with my opinion that making a film of of a recent tragic event and placing it in theaters nationwide for the pleasure of the viewing public for the price of $9.50+popcorn is a fucking disgusting thing to do.

If you can't understand that that is my opinion on the matter, sorry.