unibody MBP firewire woes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jacen2141, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

So I just picked up a MBP on a bit of a whim...I was able to pick up a (new in box) retired 2.53C2/4gb/320 unibody from Best Buy (as an employee) for $1429 since they were clearanced.....and well, now I'm trying to figure out this whole Firewire thing... :hsd: I knew about the issues going into it, but hadn't really given it much thought lately bc I wasn't that hard up for a new mac.

What have all the video guys on the forum done? I have a FW400/USB My Book scratch disk AND my Canon shoots on HDV so I'm trying to figure out the best way to accommodate for the computer only having one FW800. Is it ok to use USB for the scratch disk? Then just snag a 4pin FW -> FW800 cable from firefold?

2. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Just get an adaptor from firewire 800->400. Why wouldn't it be ok to use your my book as usb? If it wasn't ok they wouldn't have made it an option :dunno:

3. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

Well I just meant to use the scratch disk through USB....I've only ever used FW for scratch disks. I guess I'll need a hub anyway bc I can't exactly have my DV cam connected at the same time as a FW scratch disk unless USB works ok as a scratch.

4. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

What do you mean scratch disk? You talking where your page file resides or your swap memory? If so why keep it on another drive?

5. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

Scratch disk! Videophiles would know what I mean....it's a secondary drive where video is imported to, as opposed to the main drive. I've only ever used them through firewire, never USB.

6. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

well I know you can daisy chain Firewire drives, so maybe some kind of hub?

7. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

yeah I've got two FW drives now and they are daisy chained...oh well, thanks guys. I thought we had more video people on here!