GUN unfucking my bushmaster ar15

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NetChemica, May 4, 2009.

1. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

My Carbon-15 cracked on the top ring where the buttstock screws into the lower.

Is it possible to purchase any ar15 lower out there and just mount it onto the rest of the rifle?

Another coastie on my base is selling his lower and I'm pretty interested in it. I'd try it out but the rest of my rifle is still in Chicago (I'm in san fran).

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Have you contacted Bushmaster about it?

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Call Bushmaster.

4. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

they'll take care of ya

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

orly such gun friendly places

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

What kind of Carbon-15 is this? IE: Model?

7. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

In on this Carbon-15 thread as I was thinking about building a lightweight AR out of one. Do you have any pics of the rifle and/or the failure?

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

That's an issue with the carbon frames. Yes, you should be able to use a regular lower just fine. And +1 on the advice to call BM, they should set you up with a new lower.

9. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

Do you know a guy named Tony Kopshever. Not sure on that spelling, but he's stationed in San Fran.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  10. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Just so you know, aluminum upper receivers are in stock everywhere (~$110) as are lowers (~$130-225 depending on brand).

If you truly wanted to "un-fuck" a carbon 15, i'd just swap out the lower and upper.

However, I'm sure bushmaster customer service would replace your lower if you called.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Carbon 15 breakage reports are anything but rare. The cavarms plastic lowers seem to have a better reputation.

Personally I LOVE light guns for my shooting but I'm not sure I'd like a super light lower, I think it would tend to feel unbalanced.

12. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Pardon my stupidity.

Are the Carbon AR's Carbon fiber or something? (I thought it was just a brand name)

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Something similar. More of a composite it looks like to me, it's def. not carbon weave.

14. Yeah.

15. ChipOnShoulder

Yup, definitely not carbon fiber.

Real deal carbon fiber is strong as hell. It's pretty amazing when you actually handle carbon fiber items. One of my friends is a big car nerd and i just recently got him hooked on weapons. After watching the Magpul DVD, he's embarked on a journey to make a carbon fiber bolt assist device.

It was pretty amazing. We weighed his BAD level clone, and it was only 155 grs on my powder scale (0.34 oz) and we couldn't break it with a hammer while was clamped in a vice.

Carbone fiber's costs are mostly in the labor intensive process.

16. It's not woven carbon fiber like people are used to seeing. It's just resin that's reinforced with carbon fibers.

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Does you buddy work in the composities/Carbon Fiber industry, or just as a hobbyist? I think that's some really neat stuff, but have no idea how one would ever really "break" into that world without likely being a classically trained engineer with some big $$ backing.

The machine shop I have connections to has a pretty badass injection molding setup sitting in a corner that I don't think has ever really been used. I have absolutely no idea how to even turn it on, but already can think of a ton of shit I'd like to do with it.

I should have probably stuck with mechanical engineering like originally planned...:wtc:

18. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

How well did it work? And how much do you guys want for one? :rofl: I've been thinking through different ideas on how to make one so if you have it all worked out let me know. :x:

19. ChipOnShoulder

He's actually an IT guy, and a hobbyist. Of course, he isn't your "average" hobbyist... he's the kind of guy who ports and polishes every single thing in his exhaust system just to entertain himself. :squint: He also literally got a "rocket scientist" to run aerodynamic models on his car so he could fabricate custom/discrete spoilers for his track car.

He started out with fiberglass, and moved up to carbon fiber recently. There are forums dedicated to this type of crap as well.

As I understand it, Carbon fiber requires compression during curing if you want it to be strong in all directions. His first B.A.D. prototype was insanely strong in one direction, but weak in the other due to the direction he lay the fibers, and the fact he didn't compress it.

It actually didn't look that hard. Apply resin to a sheet of CF cloth. Lay another layer, apply resin, repeat 90 times, toss it into a mold and compress. The big killer is the time required to actually do all this. My buddy was time rich for the last 3 months because he was an big shot IT guy at... Washington Mutual!

He got a new job so he can pour money into reloading/guns, but it also means I probably won't be getting a uber-mall-ninja-elite-fighting carbon fiber BAD lever any time soon.

ETA: sorry for the hijack. Will share pics of the CF magpul lever clone in new thread when complete.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  20. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Yeah it seems like the Carbon-15 lowers are the parts that break. I was hoping for some durability tests on the upper receiver as I'd be mating that to a CavArms lower.

21. ChipOnShoulder

I really like how light my CavArms lower is, but you've got to be pretty careful with your barrel and hand guard selection.

Slap anything other than a 14.5" M4, or 16" Lighweight barrel on their with light handguards, and your rifle becomes a nose heavy pig.

22. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

Just a picture of the rifle, didn't take a picture of the damage.

[​IMG]

23. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

On Bushmaster's website it says a stripped Carbon-15 upper requires "a barrel with a special Carbon-15 barrel extension"....can you confirm this or will any AR barrel work?

24. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I plan on a lightweight 14.5" barrel with a shaved, pinned flash hider. Probably a DPMS CF free float handguard or another JP VTAC setup. :hsd:

25. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

The Cav Arms lowers are solid.

Carbon 15s are anything but.