GUN Unexpected police visit comes with a high cost

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, May 23, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://onmilwaukee.com/politics/articles/politics052308.html?15343

Published May 23, 2008 at 5:24 a.m.

Karter Stank tried to fight City Hall, but lost.

Stank was part of a group of unlucky people who filed claims against the city after police executed search warrants in the wrong homes. When that happens, the homeowner is left with a bashed in front door and a substantial mess to clean up inside as well. They usually are left holding the bag for the bill to fix it as well.

Stank went to the Common Council's Judiciary Committee asking for $10,463.05 to pay for damages, including mental anguish.

Anguish, indeed.

"I almost got killed that day," he said, relaying the incident when he carried tools upstairs from the basement of his home on N. 60th St. and was greeted by police officers pointing shotguns and shouting obscenities at him. The cops took him outside and made him kneel in his front yard for all his neighbors to see while they rampaged through his house.

According to the warrant, police were looking for a black male named Anthony Lewis, who had a sawed-off shotgun. Stank is white. Police seized some antique guns, ammo, and what they claimed was "cocaine base" from his house, but no charges were issued.

"I think they realized they had the wrong property, but they just started taking things," Stank said. "They just grabbed stuff all over my house. I feel I got robbed at gunpoint by the police department."

Stank said it took him nearly seven months to get all his stuff back.

"The MPD served the warrant in relation to firearms located in the claimant's residence. The items seized were directly related to the firearm issue. Since the use of force was authorized by state statutes and the MPD was acting within its sphere of responsibility, we recommend denial of this claim," reads the city attorney's office opinion.

Police said the warrant was based on the word of a "confidential informant" who has helped police confiscate guns in the past. The informant's tips were used to get 15 search warrants, the committee was told.

The parade of wrong search warrant executions left Ald. Jim Bohl looking for answers from a tight-lipped police representative.

"It sort of makes it look like we're running around playing cowboy," said Bohl, who called it "ridiculous" that the police can destroy a person's home under the guise of a search warrant and then know the city won't have to compensate the victim for the police deeds.

"If we had culpability for the cost of something, we'd turn around and do the due diligence of additional time," he said, adding that the current practice "has a raw stink of government abuse."

Out of left field, Ald. Joe Davis, a member of the committee and Stank's alderman, chastised Stank for not being an active part of his neighborhood. Stank has complained to Davis about activity at a store in his neighborhood, but claimed that Davis never returned his calls.

In accusatory fashion, Davis asked Stank if he knew drug dealers were operating in the neighborhood. Davis knows there are.

"If you haven't taken the proactive responsibility of reporting drug dealing in your neighborhood, then I consider you to be part of the problem," Davis told Stank.

That statement, seemingly unrelated to Stank's search warrant issue, drew puzzled looks in the room.

"I don't like your tone," Stank told Davis.

"You're going to have my tone," responded a heated Davis, who was then silenced by committee Chair Ashanti Hamilton.

The city denied Stank's claim.

2. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

They didn't kill his dog.

3. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

The police need to be held more accountable for acting on tips given by informants. Could have been a pissed off neighbor or some shit like that for all we know. So they tear apart some dudes house looking for a certain person with a gun and don't find him. Then they take a few guns and don't have to pay the bill now because the search warrant had weapons on the list??? Pure BULLSHIT!

4. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

Fucking Christ. I live near Milwaukee too; just another reason to avoid moving to the city :ugh:

I do know if a swat team comes breaking into my house, there will likely be hell to pay, since I am always armed or in close proximity to a firearm. There is no reason for the police to be at my house; as such, I will treat them the same way as any unwelcome intruder.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

A hilarious exchange.

It also shows why the ultimate cop hate is misdirected. Its the entire community that allows stuff like this and douches like that alderman to stay in power.

6. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Then they kill you and get away with it or you kill them and end up in jail the rest of your life. Sucks that the police are just state sanctioned armed robbers now.

7. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

Search warrants are a Judicial Act, so if you want to blame someone blame the judge who approved it.

8. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

Get away with what? Defending themselves? :ugh:

9. Carl Brutananadilewski

Judges don't just randomly issue warrants and hand them to the police department. Someone has to ask for them, and if that someone doesn't do their homework and end up kicking in the door of the wrong house, well, they deserve whatever happens to them.

10. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

If they police don't do their homework and don't meet the necessary criteria the judge shouldn't approve it.

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

You are only kidding yourself if you think that playing Rambo in a situation like that won't result in your untimely death.

It's a shitty situation, but I don't know if I blame the SWAT guys for the problem. They are just doing as told... The intel was fucked from the get go, and the administration is is equally fucked for not 'fessing up to their screw up and making things good. The article makes it sound like this is a somewhat frequent problem, at which point I'd begin to ask who the hell is making these decisions, and why the hell he/she still has a job.

12. Carl Brutananadilewski

Key word being shouldn't. Most warrant requests are pretty much rubber stamped.

13. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Shit, even LAPD has a guy that goes around and replaces the front door for you.

Is he a small part of the larger problem that town has with its ignorant and/or corrupt elected officials and the citizenry that puts them in power? Sure. Does he deserve to have his home trespassed and ransacked while being threatened with lethal force for not calling the police everytime he sees a possible dealer walk down the street? No.

:wtf: Are they smoking there?

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:werd: Warrants are almost always just "approved". Judges don't usually want to bother verifying anything and figure "hey they've got reason". :o

15. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

Uh, no. I know plenty of cops who have been laughed at for bringing shit evidence before a judge

16. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Yes and no. Warrants are based upon the testimony of the officer who writes them. Falsifying this info is a felony and a fireable offense.
    I've had warrants denied before - but not recently.
    It's up to the Judge.

17. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Any decent team will be doing recon of their own, in addition to intel gathered from detectives and informants. I quantify "decent" because there are plenty of fad tactical units on little 50 man departments that have no business doing perimeter security nevermind entry.

It's not totally a Rambo statement. I know there is no reason for a SWAT team to be busting in my house. Guys crash in, things will get ugly for all of us because, with me not being a bad guy and all, I'm not assuming its the cops. Is there a good chance I'd be killed? Sure. From the cop perspective, I'm doing an entry and some guy starts shooting, he goes down. That's how I'd roll too. Which is exactly why it is totally inexcusable to be kicking down the wrong door, even once.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

oh, you're right. I forgot cops always get convictions before actually arresting someone :ugh2:

If you know "plenty of cops who have been laughed at" when getting a warrant then they are some fucking DUMB ASS COPS.

I understand that the nature of their job will often involve a few mistakes. But to actually bust in someone's door and execute an at-gunpoint search warrant and not find ANY evidence? And then seize property out of spite? It's simply ignorant to believe that cops actually exercise the proper level of due diligence. And they seem to cause even greater harm with their attempts to cover their tracks.

19. smartypants

smartypants New Member

ONE=ALL
    fallacy of composition.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

have you not read this forum? Its a fuck-ton more than ONE.

There have been like a dozen dead dogs posted about here just in a few months.

i mean, think about it. Cops bust into the WRONG house, shoot your dog, and then just walk away with not even a "sorry". Shit. I'm suprised we haven't heard about a disgruntled resident seeking revenge on the muderous cops, yet.

You kill my dog, and your shiny badge isn't gonna protect your ass.

21. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

Okay since you don't understand what humorous exaggeration is I shall rephrase and say that they were "denied".
    But whether you like it or not, warrants aren't just handed out without some kind of oversight. There isn't a big conspiracy between judges and the police to just do whatever they want.
    And no one is trying to justify what the police did in this case. I'm merely pointing out that its not right to wholly blame the police for the fuck up.

22. smartypants

smartypants New Member

A dozen dogs?
    Settle down there, Kyle.:rofl:

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  23. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

There are about 650,000 law enforcement officers in the USA, most of which are hated and not appreciated by the people they are supposed to be protecting. I don't blame an entire community of people under enormously stressful conditions for 12 assholes who fucked up.

24. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Because articles that contain stories of how the police successfully executed a no-knock search warrant and found what they were looking for are frequently written by the media, right? No one wants to read that, they want to shit on the cops for all of their screw ups. If all you ever read is the negative then that's what you're going to believe. You might also want to look at other sources for your stories besides OT.

25. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:werd: