Unequal strength in arms & numbness?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Gli, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gli

Gli i can has fast duck?

I'm still a noob to lifting, just starting up again after getting all healed up.

I had a surgery to remove melanoma from my back this summer, which severed lots of nerves. I can't really feel my triceps. :greddy:

I can tell they're there and can FEEL when I touch them, but it is a very numb and empty feeling. I think I feel the skin, but not anything inside. Could this be effecting my dumbbell press / bench? When I do dumbbell press, my left arm can't put up as many reps as my right. When I do barbell curls, my left arm can pull up its share of the weight, but my right can't. WTF? Should I start isolating these muscles to make them more equal? I.e. do more curls with one arm and maybe tri-extensions with the other? Could this be related to the numbness I'm feeling? :hsd:

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I wouldn't isolate them but just keep pushing them evenly. The body is an amazing thing and will probably rewire the nerves to that area if you stick with it long enough.

3. evh

evh Active Member

its possible

4. meervincent

meervincent New Member

i guess doing as much db work as you can untill what was said above happens. im currently trying to even out the 1/2 inch diference in my arms and im finding useing db's when ever i can has made a decent difence so far

5. Gli

Gli i can has fast duck?

k sounds good so far...thanks. anyone else feel to chime in?

6. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

I think dumbells are the answer.

Perform the exercise with the weakest side first, then match it with the right.

Also, try to focus on contracting the muscle as you lift the weight. i.e. if you are doing a curl, rather than heaving the weight up, concentrate on contracting the biceps as hard as possible while you do it. This helps you establish that mind-muscle connection. I know it sounds gay but it's made quite a difference to my training

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.