MIL Unemployment effects

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JSin, Jul 29, 2005.

1. JSin

JSin New Member

I'm currently in the application process for becoming a Navy officer (the application is away I'm just waiting to hear back from boards) and am currently jobless and enjoying it. A friend mentioned to me that I should file for unemployment while I wait to hear back, and from the research I've made I can get like 1200-1400 a month. But, does collecting unemployment have any effect on my hopefully soon to be military status?

I'm not struggling, I could get by without it, but an extra 1200 bucks a month would be nice, and I've paid into it and will probably never collect it, so why not?

2. Accord

Accord New Member

I wonder how it would effect any future background investigations, security clearances, etc.

3. gookarachie

gookarachie New Member

I don't think it would have any bearing on becoming an officer or on any back ground check for security clearance at all. Why would it. If people are looking into your past and see that you collected unemployment so what. You didn't have a job and needed money to pay rent and the rest of your bills. That is what it is for and cannot be used against you.

4. Accord

Accord New Member

It could be used against you in the same way that having bad credit could be used against you. If having a good credit history is something that is looked at to make sure the person is responsible, etc. then there's no reason why they wouldn't look at this in the same light.

When someone says "I was on unemployment," it doesn't matter what the circumstances of it were, people will still judge you from it and make misconceptions about you based on it. If going on unemployment is going to be the difference between living on the streets and living at home, then by all means go for it, but if you don't absolutley need it, which you said you don't, then I wouldn't risk it. Just my opinion.

Jsin, why don't you just ask a Navy OSO (I think that's what the Navy calls them?) and find out the real story.

5. JSin

JSin New Member

I don't know how it would either, but I do remember them asking this question on one of the applications I filed out when applying (have you ever collected unemployment)... which makes me suspicious.

6. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

8 year Capt? How? :dunno: Are you about to put on Maj?

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

The only negative I have found about being on unemployment is in the civilian world. It's not so much that you were collecting unemployment, though. It has more to do with when you are trying to get a job the hiring managers don't like to see gaps in your employment. They figure if you were on the ball you would be more aggressive in your job search and wouldn't need to be jobless for long - if ever.

v.theyhavenofuckingcluewhatit'sliketobeunemployed.