SRS Unemployment Benefits? Am I allowed to apply?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by popsnbeer, Mar 25, 2009.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Hey guys. I may be getting let go from work here. It is more of a performance based job and I am not doing well enough. I am not sure how my employer will file the employee termination paperwork, but my question is will I be elligible to apply for unemployment benefits in the state of Arizona?

thanks guys.

2. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

if you get laid off yes, if you get fired its a lot more difficult to be elligible chances are no

3. 7960

7960 New Member

then there's no way to answer your question.

4. THoC

THoC New Member

depends on your company.

keep in mind im not in AZ and do not know the laws there.

when i fire someone we very reraly even bother fighting unemployeement.

people who get fired for performace almost always still get it.

5. t-t-t-today

t-t-t-today New Member

I was a car salesman and my performance sucked. I only worked there for like 2 1/2 months. I'm not even sure if I got fired or laid off, they just told me they are letting me go. I still got unemployment.

I'm in illinois.

6. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

okay...let's say i have the choice then. should i quit and keep them as a good employer on my resume. I have been with them for about 20 months now. or do i let them fire me b/c it might be very very hard for me to get another job quickly making the same amount of money I was making.

7. t-t-t-today

t-t-t-today New Member

You can't get unemployment if you quit. I'd say let them fire you/lay you off.

8. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Yeah. i understand that. however, will that (getting fired) make it that much harder for me to go get another job without being able to use them as a reference?

9. 7960

7960 New Member

you can use them as a reference.

when you apply to a new place make sure your contact at the old place is someone who will give you a good reference.

I had a manager who hated me so when I was applying for other jobs I listed a different manager (friend) as my reference at that company. When the next company called to ask about me he said I was a perfect employee (I was). My actual manager would have tanked me just because he was an asshole like that.

10. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

A lot of companies refrain from giving bad references these days, liability reasons. Typically they will only verify the dates of your employment, and job title. Sometimes they will confirm your last salary, sometimes they won't.

11. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

You can apply for UI benefits, but from the description, it sounds like you were more fired than laid off. But go ahead and apply, you might as well.

Also, don't know if you live by yourself or what, but if you have no source of income right now, apply for EBT (food stamps).

BTW, at least here in Iowa, it takes 3 weeks for UI to be processed.

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

you can always apply.

i quit my first corporate job due to horrible work conditions (i worked in software development... 70 hr weeks, no overtime, no raises, mandatory weekends, insane stress, etc.. i put up with it for 2 years then said f it) they fought unemployment and i lost.

my second job i was laid off and they even told me they wouldnt fight it if i applied :rofl: so i've been on unemployment from that for almost a year now (they keep extending it :big grin: )

fuck quitting to get a good reference. most companies will only confirm title and dates employed. let them fire or lay you off so you're more eligible for unemployment. you almost assuredly wont get it if you quit.

also dont take any shit from anyone who gives you any crap about supporting your unemployment with their tax dollars. unemployment is paid for by the company, not by tax dollars.

for real dude, unemployment is very common right now with this crappy economy. btw depending on where you live it's probably not going to be that much either. its better than nothing tho. in IL it maxes out at the equivalent of $9.20 per hour. coming from a corporate management position thats crap, but it's better than nothing. it also saves you from having to work some minimum wage job in the meantine, too, like a lot of people are having to do, cuz unemployment pays more :rofl:

just make sure your insurance is covered if you're unemployed. that shit is expensive, especially if you do COBRA.

13. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

thanks for the insight. yeah, my wife just got a job as a teacher for a middle school so we won't be without any income and I think she will be able to get some benefits too, however I just can't sit at home all day and soak up government money either. We will need a little more money to supplement her income. I just have felt worthless lately working a job that i have hated for over a year now. It is truly affecting my demeanor, health, and everything else and has been for quite some time. I have only stayed this long because of the economy. If I am able to get unemployment though I will use it as income while I look for a good job (rather than working at McDonalds for $6/hr).

14. dan zig

dan zig New Member

As long as you didnt quit or were fired for absenteeism than you should get it.