MIL Undecided

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Epicman, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Epicman

Epicman Active Member

I'm debating joining the military. Right now my two choices are really between the Air Force and the Marines. On one hand if I join the Air Force I know my mom will be a lot more calm because in her eyes there will be less risk. On the other hand I feel like joining the Marines gives you a lot more pride than being in the Air Force.

Also, from my experience, the Air Force gets more money. Not on pay but as far as ammenities. I lived with my brother in Hawaii(he was in the Army) and Hickam was by far the best base there. Also, how does a GED affect entrance? I know that the military has a limited number of GED slots but as far as Air Force and Marines, I'm sure one fills up quicker than the other.

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

The air force's cushy living has made everyone scurry to join. It'll be harder to get into the AF nowadays with a GED than it is with the other branches.

3. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Good luck getting into the AF with a GED, just pray your ASVAB scores are high.

Army and Marines are more accepting. If you care about ammenities (Which it sounds like you do), Then the Army would be a good compromise.

Although the Marines get little to no ammenities, they have IMO the nicest conus bases of any military service.

4. Epicman

Epicman Active Member

I tend to do well on tests so I hope I would do well on the ASVAB...but you guys think it'll be hard getting in with a GED?

What are conus bases??

5. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

If you do well on the ASVAB, you may qualify for entry into the AF.
    The AF limits the number of GED, and low ASVAB scorers to a small percentage. Talk to your recruiter and as long as he/she thinks you are worthwhile then they should work to get you in.

CONUS= Continental United States = bases inside the 48 states.

6. Epicman

Epicman Active Member

Do you think I should talk to one now or when I lose more weight? I'm current down to 225 lbs(from 270 3 months ago). Or should I wait until I'm at the right weight before I even bother talking to any recruiters?

7. Epicman

Epicman Active Member

What's required to get a waiver?

8. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

paperwork. i'd go with the army. it's gonna be nearly impossible to get in the AF with a GED with all the job cuts there.

9. Jyokker

How tall are you?
    If you aren't too overweight, go see him now.

10. Epicman

Epicman Active Member

5'10"

11. Jyokker

If you can lose it fast, and show progress then go talk to them now.

As for the Marine/ Air Force pride thing, you will find that the Marine Corps will have more esprit de corps than the Air Force. Most jobs in the AF do not push a team mentality by nature. Fighting on the ground as a team is one of the best ways to promote team mentality. The AF, comparing job to job, will be more cushy in general. This is not to say that you will never see combat or never sent to Iraq or Afghanistan. If you are sent, you will be sent with less combat training than the Marines or Army receive.

12. Epicman

Epicman Active Member

I just went to the Air Force site and put in to have somebody contact me but right after submitting it it went to a pge that told me that the AF requires people with GED to have a minimum of 15 credits in college.

13. EYOB

EYOB Guest

you-are-fucked.jpg

/yourself :eek5:

14. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Sign up with your local Community College. 15 credits is a full load for only one semester - or an easy load for two.

After you do your 15 credits, tell the Air Force to suck your left nutt and take your credits over to the Army for advanced Rank. :wiggle:

15. EYOB

EYOB Guest

If you take this route and find college life managable, continue to take classes past the 15 credits till you can't no more.

EDIT: I got 18 Credits right after high school so I could attain automatic E-2. But I should have stayed in college or at least picked a better MOS. :o

16. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

dot

17. Epicman

Epicman Active Member

Well, if I go the college route I will go for my degree. I've been talking to my parents(thankfully they are still willing to pay for my school) about it and they'd rather I go to school. Specially my mom. My brother was in the Army when we went into Iraq. For the year he was there my mom was stressed out of her mind worrying about him. She'd rather not see me join the Army or Marines for fear of me ending up over there.

18. Jyokker

If mom and pops will pay for college, then what are you thinking about joining the military for?

19. Epicman

Epicman Active Member

I've tried college before and did not like it at all. However, this time around I'm older, and have been through some things that make me want to give it another shot. But the reason I'm asking is because I like to have options. I'm not looking to joing the military this weekend but I do want to know my options before I make big decisions.

20. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Uhhh, going to school is not a big decision.

21. Epicman

Epicman Active Member

Sorry, I meant the military was a big decision.

22. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

You won't be able to get into the Air Force, especially now, with a GED.

The Army will take anyone. Don't know about the Marines.

23. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I wouldn't go for the Air Force. They eat their own. If you have had weight problems in the past it will be 110% up to you to maintain your weight. No one is going to remotely try to help you but they will be more than willing to insult you and throw paperwork at you at every turn if you are not a toothpick. We had a guy in a similar situation. He was 300+ prior to joining, got down to below 200lbs by the end of basic training and within a year and a half in the air force he had managed to get back to just under 300. Needless to say he spend a few months in correctional custody, got put on a control roster, etc.
    If you can be completely dedicated then go for it. I know I lost 35lbs to get in and have gained it back. I still pass my fitness test but that is only because I can run like hell. Best of luck to ya.

24. Jyokker

This is unit specific. My unit would put you on Mandatory PT (PT every day) with the assistance of two PTLs who are encouraging and determined to help you help yourself lose weight, pass test, etc.

25. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

help you help yourself.... enough said