Unable to mount Hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5SpeedSER, Apr 13, 2008.

1. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Well im having some issues with the g3 B&W i just got, its a 350mhz rev.1 style. I currently have it loaded with Mac OS X Server 10.0 (the most recent version i have). Its booted onto the stock 8gb hard drive, and i have a 80gig western digital i have already from a previous machine that has my mp3s and such on it. The 80gb is formated in mac os extended case sensitive+journaled. For some reason i can not seem to get this disk to mount under 10.0. I have tried hooking it up to both IDE channels... the main ide channel as a slave drive, and the second ide channel as master with out any other drive attached. The drive shows up under disk utility, but doesnt show up on my desktop. Any clues?

2. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

i did try mounting it via command line, it gave me the error saying it is unkonwn special file or file system.

im wondering if its due to the extended journaled and case sensitive format... though i thought this was backwards compatible.

3. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

10.0 doesn't support journaling or case sensitivity. I think you need to upgrade to at least 10.3.

4. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

doh... anyway to deal with this in 10.0?

5. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

I think you need to either upgrade the OS or backup the data on another Mac, reformat in plain HFS+ and restore it.

6. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

also, its a B&W rev. 1. you can only run the 80 gig off the cd rom drive ribbon, since the hdd controller will scramble your data ( doesn t support large drives( bigger then 40 gigs i think it was, even as secondary on the hdd ribbon.) Rev 2 does. So first off run it off ide 2 ( the ribbon for the cd-rom) and secondly, higher OS.