"Unable to log you on because of an account restriction" - Damn XP Home

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MikeHunt79, Sep 21, 2004.

1. MikeHunt79

MikeHunt79 New Member

Ok, this is an XP home related issue... The machine in question is on a network, and in order for this machine to work correctly with the network, it needs to be loggin in with the username "Administrator". Yet when I try this, I get the error: "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction"

Now... Apparently, this is due to the way XP home is built. Does anyone know of a bypass/hack/modification/fix for this, as being able to log in as "Administrator" would solve my problems. I already know the password, btw, and can log in using safe mode.

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

So you log into Windows with one username (joeuser) then log into the network as another? (Administrator). Windows XP Home doesn't have very good support (none at all ;) ) for domains and what you're trying to do. To trick XP you need to log into Windows as the user you log into the network with.

So if you need to access network resources as Administrator then you need to create that user on your local computer with the same password then login with it when you start Windows - this is the only way you can do it with XP Home.