Unable to install new CD Burner

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RaginBajin, Feb 25, 2004.

1. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Alright, here's the deal.

I bought a new CD burner and installed it. I'm able to use it to read CD's, but not burn anything. At first, I thought it was the drive so I returned it and got a different type today. Installed it, same thing.

It reads discs just fine, but refuses to burn. Tells me that the cd is not blank or it just straight out can't burn. I have 2 HD's in the machine and I removed the secondary one, attempting to put the CD Burner on the second portion of the cable. This totally did work at all. The PC refused to boot that way.

Has anyone run into this problem or have any ideas on what could be going on?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I don't know how this works under Windows, but you may need to force it to be recognized as ATAPI SCSI emulation. I know I have to do this under Linux, but I think it should be done automatically under Windows (not sure if you can do it manually).

3. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I fixed the issue.

There is an option under Properties labeled 'Enable CD Burning.' This option WAS checked and me being able to read/comprehend, I left it there thinking, "yeah, I want this drive to burn..." As soon as I unchecked it, it started working. No idea why, but it works now.