Unable to access old files, help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChrisDC2, Nov 20, 2005.

1. ChrisDC2

ChrisDC2 Smooth

It's been a few months since I've added another HD to my Dell. In doing so, I had to get a new PSU to compensate for it and the ATI X800XL video card I installed. I also did a fresh install of XP with all the updates n' such. I copied all the old files over to the new one (which is acting as the slave). The problem is, I cannot access my old media, namely my pictures and movies. It says something like "access is denied" and will not even preview the photos. How can I view them again?

Also another shitty thing that happened is that I lost all my purchased music from iTunes and XP automatically converted all my mp3s to the protected wmv format. Is there still hope of converting those mp3s back to normal? The only way I know of is to burn those wmv songs onto a CD and then import them again under an mp3 or something.

Thanks in advance!

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

XP Home? You'll need to boot in safe mode. Then right click, properties on the "access denied" folder. Go to the security tab, advanced button, owner tab, and make yourself the owner. Then go back to the first tab under security and make sure your current account is listed with full control.

This is all the same NTFS permissions that have been around since NT but XP home doesn't let you see them outside of safe mode. It sounds like you made your old user profile private when you created it.

3. nietsni3

nietsni3 Guest

try to do the permission thinggy manually on each folder you got blocked from:
    1. uncheck "use simple file sharing" in tools/folder options/view
    2. right click the folders/files in question, choose properties/security. play around with the setting in there. dont hesitate, dig as deep into those settings as you feel necessary.
    3. paypal me $1000 bucks after fixing them :)

4. ChrisDC2

ChrisDC2 Smooth

Damn, thank you. It worked