umm...wierd hard drive problem... heat?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by m1lk, Aug 10, 2006.

1. m1lk

m1lk New Member

well lately, my comps been freezing and i found out it was because of the hard drive. it would do these 2 loud clicks, the access light would be on and the whole system would freeze, and id have to restart it. ive ran scandisk/checkdisk or whatever its called on all of my drives, it has not found any problems, yet it does this random times. but lately its been getting more frequent and frequent. so i decided to take out the HD, and upon touching it, it was really hot. im wondering, could heat be the cause? if so, is there a way to fix this?

also, i dont know if this has anything to do with it, but it started happening 2 days after i decided to take off the tower enclosure and leave it naked :dunno:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Hard drives usually get really hot nowadays. It's not necessarily good for them, but it's common nonetheless. It sounds like the hard drive motor is stalling; regardless of the root cause though, it is strongly advisable for you to plug the drive into another computer, see if it works fine there, and if it doesn't work fine, copy everything you can onto a new hard drive as soon as possible. If the hard drive does work fine connected to another computer, then comes the fun task of figuring out which piece of your computer is really causing the problem.