A&P Umbrellas

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SenenCito, Apr 1, 2006.

1. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

they'll do the job!

3. natelam

natelam New Member

First, if you want to use SB-800s, you will need umbrella adapters wit hot shoe mounts like these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=42160&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Secondly, you might to think about buying additional umbrellas (white translucent, and silver) for more lighting options. The photogenic set is not bad for the price - but their uses are limited, and you'll have the same look pretty much every time. Buy a couple photoflex reflectors (gold, silver large).

Thirdly, I would think about the Nikon SU-800 so that you don't have to waste one of your flashes as a master controller.

With that, you're pretty set to go for some simple portrait work. Personally, I use mostly softboxes but on a budget, umbrellas are great.

4. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

5. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

the umbrella/hotshoe adapters shoudl only cost about $15... grab some cheap used light stands and maybe 45"+ sized :bateman:s ...not as nice as a softbox, but much quicker

6. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

hmm so, are there any softboxes that I can just adapt to a flash, same as with the umbrella?

7. mojito

mojito New Member

There are 2 types of umbrellas, shoot through and bounce. Bounce is the most common. You can get some that do both, you just remove the black layer and they are shoot through then. I know calumet makes some.

Calumet (calumetphoto.com) is a great place to get studio stuff. I have got a lot of items from them. They're heavy duty background support system for 100 is a great pickup, and the p-22 diffusion flat system too.

8. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

so basically using an umbrella as shoot through is very similar to a softbox?

9. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

10. natelam

natelam New Member

Yeah, Chimera makes a SB-800 speedring adapter for softbox use, and so does Photoflex I believe. Shoot through umbrellas is NOT as good as softboxing - not as soft, and a lot less control over the light, and you can't modify the light with a grid, etc... But, in a pinch, it will do. If you were going to get softboxes, I recommend a Photoflex kit if you want stay cheap(er).