Ultimate SQL Car Sub?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I really never hear peoples opinions on a good SQL car sub.

When i say SQL Im looking for a good blend of SPL and quality, a sub that can do it all and do it with some emphasis

RE XXX?

Something by Adire Audio?

IDMax?

Digital Designs?

What about Crossfire? Never hear about them
    I have no idea

I know there are personal preferences, but Im not asking for the loudest sub here so obviously personal preference comes into play, im pretty much looking for contenders for the spot, i know a lot of them are probably pretty close :dunno:

Also the budget is pretty much not important, allow 500 as a max for price on sub.

(maybe theres something im not thinking of as well)

Another issue many people like me have to deal with is the fact we cant just go and audition stuff, we need as much feedback as we can get to help us make our decisions. Regardless of the fact there is no real 'perfect sub'.

Also if you are going to say something is better than something else please give reasons.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2005
  2. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

i personally think the TC Sounds LMT based drivers can really hold their own in SQL applications

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

I was impressed with the Diamond TDX motor structure. Instead of using a standard ferrite magnet, it uses a neodymium magnet in the center of the voice coil (as a pole piece). The cone was also very rigid, made out of a Kevlar/Nomex honeycombed material. It sounded great in our rep's car, but we never could get them to sound good. But we tried to put them in homie cars with gobs of power in ported boxes on rap.. They don't sound good that way. But they have all kinds of potential.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

So the TDXs have potential but theyre a tricky install?

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yeah. we didn't ever install them in an SQ setup, just tried to make them real loud. I think if done right, they would be an incredibly accurate sub.

6. denim

denim New Member

it is hard to pic just one, RL-p/XXX/SI MAG/CMPX2/Brahma/H2/EclipseTi etc...

7. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

JL Audio W7
    Elemental Designs old A series, or the new Av2 when it comes out. Hell even the current Ov2 is every bit as good as the old A series, and a lot less money.

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

my concern would be the frequency extension of the woofers, subs like the XXX dont go down to the low 20hz region which is something that I would definately like. (atleast the fs on the RE web site states the XXX doesnt go down that far) Same thing goes for the H2.Or am I misinterperating something?

But from what I've seen I really like the Eclipse Tis and Brahmas. The Rl-ps also look quite nice especially for the price.

With the metal nature of the cone on the Eclipse Ti series what kind of change to the sound would be expected?

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

I've never heard a metal cone sub that i would consider calling SQ. the sound is tinny, and most of them, while having some degree of accuracy, lose that same accuracy in the resonantion of the cone.

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Looks like its down to the Rl-P and the Brahma :naughty:

11. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Fs isnt always a good indicator of low end extension. Model the driver and see what it will do in various alignments. Also you dont need massive low end extension in a car, just decent extension will do and cabin gain will do the rest. Too much extension can make the low end seem bloated; unless you are going to EQ out some low end.

That said a Brahma is a great driver. What size were you looking at?

I just have to :rofl: at DD being mentioned for SQ. Most of their drivers are closer to giant midbasses than subwoofers.

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I was looking at 12-inch subwoofers

I only mentioned DD because somebody said otherwise once :dunno: I know nothing about them. :mamoru:

13. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

A Brahma 12 should satisfy you quite well in the low end department.

Yea DD focuses mostly on SPL. Havent spec'ed their lower end drivers much, but the higher end ones all have a ultra high EBP, sensitivity and high Fs. They are impressive drivers in some regards, but their low end sucks no matter what alignment the driver is in.

14. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

fixed

15. Ronin

Ronin Guest

What would be a contender for the Brahma? I ask this due to often found back order issues of Adire Audio.

16. Ronin

Ronin Guest

And while im in here whats a good easily accesible company for wiring?

eD?

Stinger?

17. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

eD has some good prices on wire.

18. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I like knukonceptz

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Contender for brahma? anyone know?

20. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

The IDMAX 10V3D4 does not get loud enough for me, although it is underpowered by a Zapco 500m. It has awesome sound quality, however I wish it was louder. I am planning to buy a bigger amp sometime.

21. Zylo

Zylo big time. hard line. bad luck.

Obviously the Resonant Engineering XXX series.

Same motor, same basket, slightly different cone, same principle. (both share a dense pulp cone w/ fiber reinforcing, but the XXX sports a sexy inverted dustcap :kdubb: )

22. Ronin

Ronin Guest

How low should I expect the XXX to go in an optimal enclosure and enough power to reach max excursion

I dont need sub 20hz but id like something to extend well

23. Zylo

Zylo big time. hard line. bad luck.

Just as low as a Brahma.

Don't have numbers, and it depends on what size you get. I have a 15" in a 1.7 cu. ft. sealed w/ 700W RMS and it fucking OWNS.

24. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i was thinking running about 900-1200 watts RMS

25. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

That is a good power range for a XXX in compact enclosures. If you build a larger enclosure you wont need as much power.