Ultimate 15" ...most bang for my student buck?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by soybean, Jul 29, 2005.

1. soybean

soybean New Member

So I want the best of both worlds - portability along with a good sized display and enough RAM and power to keep me going. I'm going into my freshman year as an art major (with a focus on photography which will probably involve some video stuff eventually). I guess I'll probably be running things like Photoshop, Painter, and maybe Final Cut Pro or something?

If I go up to 1GB (with two 512mb sticks) the laptop with student discount will run me $1,934 (plus a free iPod Mini). I'm curious as to whether this will be enough RAM... also wondering how easy it is to add more RAM eventually. I'm proficient with messing around in PCs (I built my current desktop) but I don't know if there are major differences for the Apple set up.

I'm gonna stick with the Combo Drive because I figure packing in the Superdrive will only add more weight and heat, and I can always buy an external DVD burner.

So what do you think? Will it be proficient for running the programs I mentioned? One other thing... I've found the LCD to be a little flimsy at the hinges... do you have a 15"? What do you think about that? Is it solid?

2. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

installing more ram is incredibly easy in a powerbook. all you have to do is unscrew 4 screws, lift off the metal panel, and slide in the ram. I would highly recommend NOT buying more ram from apple, and just getting it from newegg or someplace like that for much cheaper. and it will definately run photoshop and painter fine, i don't know about fcp though.

3. soybean

soybean New Member

4. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

5. untoastytoast

nope, the ram has to be so-dimm 200 pin. the link you posted is 184 pin, that ram wouldn't physically fit in your powerbook.

6. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

With the new upgrades to the ibook line, I would seriously consider picking up the 14" ibook over a powerbook :dunno:

7. soybean

soybean New Member

Aren't they markedly heavier though? :/

8. soybean

soybean New Member

9. untoastytoast

indeed, that is the correct ram.

10. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

i was gonna say dont get apple ram as well, and i think for convenience just get the superdrive, or really consider an ibook before making your choice unless you plan on gaming.

11. soybean

soybean New Member

I might pick up WoW eventually... I would really like the better graphics card for possibly rendering, gaming, and film editing stuff. The superdrive is added weight and price for a function that I really don't need to carry around with me.

12. Battousai

Battousai New Member

Never buy ram from apple...

They want to charge 500 for 1g of ram...thats nuts

13. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I prefer the powerbook over the ibook...sounds like a good deal so go for it!

14. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

I just bought my new 15 inch powerbook about a week ago. I love it lots. I'd easily reccomend it to any other shopper. However, for games Apple's are nowhere near the best you can get/value. Although we all know how fast they are, the graphics drivers for Apple products have never been great, and most likely won't be for awhile (maybe once the new Mactels come out). I don't use mine for gaming though, so that's not a concern to me.

15. verbal

verbal Active Member

Upgrading to the superdrive won't add much weight or heat. I doubt it adds any at all.

16. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

:werd:

maybe a couple of ounces, if anything.

...and the only time it would generate any heat is when you're actually using it (reading or burning a CD or DVD). if you're going to be doing photo and possibly video work i can't see why you would even consider NOT getting a DVD burner as high-res photos and certainly video will fill up CD's in a hurry.

17. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

:werd:, the standard recommendation I give my users is the new 14" iBook; 1 GB memory w/SuperDrive and the extended warranty for (I think) $1,700.00.

On a personal :rant2:, what really kills me is that some people whose budgets are strapped for cash will buy a bottom-of-the-barrel PowerBook instead of the iBook because they feel the white Macs look "too femmy."

It's a computer you use for work, not a bloody fashion statement. :slap: