GUN UK Police seize deadly weapon from man

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Sep 30, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Police confiscate walking stick from retired teacher, 78, because it is an 'offensive weapon'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tick-retired-teacher-78-offensive-weapon.html
    By Daniel Bates
    Last updated at 9:33 PM on 29th September 2008

They must have known he was a troublemaker the moment they saw him.

With his white hair, wax jacket and glasses, 78-year-old Philip Clarkson Webb clearly ticked all the boxes any eagle-eyed policemen would mark as 'danger'.

And as he shuffled along the pavement towards them there was one thing above all they deemed to pose a threat - his walking stick.

The officers surrounded the retired classics teacher and informed him the 3ft wooden cane was an 'offensive weapon' and had to be confiscated.

Mr Clarkson Webb duly handed it over, but the farce did not end there.

When he later went to collect it from his local police station in Southborough, Kent, with his police receipt, he was told it had been misplaced.

It took a string of phone calls for Kent Police to finally admit they had lost it and to offer to buy him a brand new one.

Mr Clarkson Webb was caught up by overzealous policing at a climate camp environmental demonstration in Kingsnorth last month.

He was not one of the activists at the climate camp but merely paid a visit to attend a seminar on trade energy quotas.

The police stopped him and confiscated his walking stick as he approached the site where dozens of policemen, some in riot gear, where stationed.

Mr Clarkson Webb said: "At the bottom of the lane Kent Police officers confiscated my stick as an offensive weapon but gave me a receipt and promised to return it.

"But later when I produced my receipt and asked for the stick it was curtly refused.

"Since that date there have been three different telephone conversations. They've lost the stick even though it had a numbered receipt."

Mr Clarkson Webb, who is currently using his spare stick, said: "What this shows is that the efficiency of the police leaves a lot to be desired.

"In total the policing for this climate camp cost the taxpayer £6 million. It was a disgraceful waste of taxpayers' money."

Medway MP Bob Marshall Andrews criticised the police for being "provocative and heavy handed" and said the vast majority of the people at the climate camp were "thoroughly decent people".

Kent Police Assistant Chief Constable Allyn Thomas has apologised

He said: "We are sorry we have not been able to return Mr Clarkson Webb's stick and we have apologised to him directly.

"During the climate camp there was a considerable amount of activity and our officers and others from around the country who supported Kent Police had to make swift decisions as part of policing the protestors.

"Any complaints that are made will be looked into thoroughly."

------

He had a stick they should of sent him to Gitmo.

2. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

:rofl: I still can't believe the Brits, our only real allies, are such vajayjays.

3. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I just love how Britain has such asinine weapon laws, and what is considered "dangerous," and the citizens of the country pretty all disagree with it all.
    Talk about a country going almost in the opposite direction as the majority of it's population.
    Brits bitch about this shit all the time. They voted for this shit. They put these lawmakers in place. It's partly, if not mostly their fault.

4. merlin

merlin OT Supporter

but they're safe from terrorism bro. :squint:

5. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Ok.

6. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Pretty soon they'll start confiscating hands.

7. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

:noes::mamoru:

8. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

I've wanted to get this tattooed for a long time: Governments should be afraid of their people, not people from their governments.

9. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

If being safe from terrorism means not having public trash cans on the road or hell even in a train station food court, 5p cost to use the crapper and publicly announce on the tube that they are skipping a station because of a bomb scare, I'll take old men with walking sticks over than any day.

10. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

then the government will label you a radical dissident.

11. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

boom goes the subway

12. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Seriously no one bats an eye when the tube blows through a stop because of a bomb scare (and they tell the riders it is a bomb scare not a technical problem or unforeseen circumstances.)

13. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

At one time (when I was a kid), I thought it might be kind of cool to be a cop in or around London.

Now, though, they'd think I was some crazy special forces swat guy, who is ridiculously paranoid of the world around me :mamoru:

Oh, and you couldn't pay me enough to work there, or really even go there, now.

14. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Cops dont even have guns IIRC.

15. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

Most of them don't, but yeah, that's part of why you couldn't pay me enough to do it :o