ugh windows fuck up, please help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by inferno8ball, Jan 23, 2004.

1. inferno8ball

inferno8ball 190 proof Everclear + MD Amped energy d

I shutdown my computer to put in a new hardrive, and when i turned it back on it gave me "corrupted files" or what not. the missing or corrupted files is "\windows\system32\config\system"

what i dont get is why is it specifing a folder? and on my laptop this folder does not even exist.

also,. when i put the windows xo pro cd in to repair it, the repair option just sends me to a working command promt.

now i know i can format and all but i would like to avoid this at all costs. its just a pain.

just looking for suggestions or if someone has experienced this before it would be mucho helpful.

if ne one needs to know the hd is formatted for fat32, and has windows xp pro installed on it, service pack 1.

2. deuceforty

deuceforty between rupture and rapture

did you set the jumpers on the HD right??? did you set your comp to boot from your original HD?

3. inferno8ball

the jumpers are set right, but when i look at the bios it says in the boot sequence that IDE HDD is "none" now this doesnt make sense, because i can boot with the xp cd and it reconizes the HDD as c:

ugh im so confused

4. inferno8ball

i should elaborate i have three hard drives and they are set up through a raid card, raid 0 im pretty sure if that means anything

5. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

could be a jumper problem...i had the same thing where mine wouldn't boot unless i had the xp cd in

it was because at this point i only had 1 hard drive and it came from newegg with no instructions so i figured i'd put it on master...well apparently western digital drives have a different master setting if it is the only drive

if you don't think thats the problem, you can go to the windows repair command prompt that you are talking about and type in

fixmbr

to see if its a problem w/ your master boot record...it will say are you sure etc.

also, it sounds like you are going to the recovery console...if you want a repair an install, i think you just have to go through regular setup (haven't done that in forever though so i really don't remember)

6. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

well, that explains why the bios doesn't recognize the ide drive - it isn't connected to the ide controller. you need to select "scsi" or "add-in card" or similar in the boot sequence

7. inferno8ball

well now it boots and such and i was able to install a copy on XP onto anothe hard drive. as of right now im backing everything up off the drive that i need, and it is having no problems reading it.

i guess im jsut going to format and such. thanks for all your helps.