:ugh: SAN guys i'm really hating SUN and Veritas right now

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mikey D, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Man I swear I always seem to find these odd issues.

We're installing four new SUN T5220's and they're using a new SUN 6780 array. Everything was going good with the builds, could see the tape drives and what not. Veritas volume manager installed just needed to zone and carve up the disk. We zone the disk and put in the Veritas ASL for the array and then it starts, seeing trespasses on the array for just the four new machines. Driving me mad, we're using the same Veritas versions and ASL's on an existing server without any problems only difference on the working machine is a lower Solaris patch level.

Just wasted Saturday trying to fix it without getting any further, oh well cases opened with SUN and Veritas so I'll worry about it Monday.

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i'll tell you, i've been a UNIX admin for quite a while and i've grown to hate Sun and Solaris.

what version of VxVM are you using? are you sure you need the ASLs? i installed the ones for Clariions in VxVM 5.0 a while back and found out later that i didn't need them. i don't know if it was causing problems, but i was told to remove them.

3. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

We've got VxVM 5.0MP3 we also tried 5.0MP3RP2b just for grins with no changes. For the ASL's yeah we needed them no support of the array without for VxVM. The weird thing is we have an identical array being used by an identical server build with no problems. Only difference there is the firmware on the array is a level or two lower than this new one.

Its absolutely got me stumped, I'm debating even turning on MPxIO and setting the host group in SANtricity to use SUN MPxIO to see if that works without issues.

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

We don't use SUN but here's my weekend SAN story:

Friday nite we were upgrading our fiber backbone to 4GB from 2GB. Unracked the old 2GB boxes, unracked the 4G boxes from the temp rack and put them in the permanent rack. Everything was going great till we started cabling it up. The damn controller powered on when we put the power plug in. The drives weren't powered up, the controller freaked out and it marked them all as INOP. I freaked out when the Novell and ESX clusters didn't see any of the LUNS. :( 3 hours later we had to have Xiotech support remote in and run a script to reload the NVRAM.

It's good that it happens enough that they have a script to fix it, and good that it's not so common it's built into the software. Ahahaha

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

This is exactly why the SAN guys I work with usually stick to EMC and NetApp... shit usually just works.

6. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Yeah the guy who ordered this stuff isn't even with us anymore, it's actually not even the correct array for our templates :hs:

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

we're moving away from veritas vxvm/fs and just going with the native offerings from sun/linux/oracle mpxio/mdadm/ufs/zfs/multipathd/lvm2/ext3/asm.

veritas isn't really offering us much more nowadays and we don't use all the extra features that we pay for.

8. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Get this, i turn on mpxio on one system to test. Set the array host mode for this one machine to Solaris mpxio. I run the stmsboot -D fp -e and when it comes up it works like it should, not seeing any volume trespasses yet or anything. Going to drive some activity to it for the next few hours while I'm at hockey to test but this just really throws me for a loop now.

Could be a Veritas issue with the new firmware on the array I guess or could even be a SUN problem still at this point with the firmware or something in Solaris.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What about using openfiler instead? That's the one I see recommended most when people are trying to stand up new SANs without spending out the ass for proprietary software.

10. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Last time I used openfiler, it had some severe limitations on the size of the LUNs you could create, and especially with regards to clustering... has that changed?

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I have no idea, to be perfectly honest. I'm just trying to set myself up to watch someone else play with it, because I don't have the hardware or the budget to throw at it right now.