SRS Ugh-MLM scams and coworkers

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by blackbirdbeatle, Feb 24, 2010.

1. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Why the fuck do people think that I want to put in hundreds of dollars to hock their shitty vitamin drink, berry juice, diet pill, etc....? Do they know that when an independent company did the numbers, 99.4% of dealers lost money?

Every place I've worked at where I wasn't the owner I've had these people try and get me on board. A polite no thanks is not enough for them. God forbid I accept a invite for a coffee without the expectation of a 30 minute presentation that blindsides me and has others looking at us funny. No, I don't want to stay at this job forever but you aren't going to sway me by telling me my choice of current career is a junky one and will get me nowhere. If your Gogi juice was so profitable why am I your employer?

They phoned my boss at work, got my schedule for the month, and got my cell number (Under the guise of something else). Then when they called me and I said I was working the late shift tomorrow they said that they found out that I wasn't and that I need to hear a presentation (I already skipped out on a previous trap by them). I told them no thanks and they proceeded to leave messages on my phone.

Now again, things are awkward because I'd rather make a salary for the moment while I figure things out instead of selling crap to my friends and family or the guy that sells me a drink at 7-11. If it keeps up I might have to fire this guy, even though he's been working here for 8 years to my 3 months. Scamming my idiot boss with a pretend reason for my information crossed the line. I'm going to smack the shit out of both of them when I get back on Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2010
  2. johan

johan Active Member

Learning how to say NO politely but firmly, without coming across like a total asshole, is an awesome skill.

One that will serve you well throughout your life.

3. blackbirdbeatle

I like to think I am tactful but it seems telling these people no is like telling your wife's Irish parents you don't want your kids baptised.

4. johan

johan Active Member

Give me some of their lines, whatever they say to try and arm-twist you into joining up/showing up/signing up.

5. TheOutlawTorn

TheOutlawTorn New Consequence Machine

Them just scamming to get your phone number is a problem among other things. This is all messed up. I agree with johan on learning to say no. You also need to let them know that they're walking a fine line harassing you.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Talk to your boss and tell him that he should NEVER give your phonenumber to anyone, talk to him about the MLM scams and how you've been bothered by it, get a new phonenumber, and learn your boss never to give away your private information. IF they call you just ask them to take you out of their computer, that usually sets them back, a governmental website is introduced in some countries 'CALL ME NOT' and people who have their phonenumber listed there are forbidden by law to be harassed, anyone who does can get sued, so that site usually gets checked then before anyone tries to call you, i don't think there is on in the USA yet, but they should have installed something like that sooner.

7. blackbirdbeatle

It's not what they say but the way they go about it. For instance I've been asked to coffee/lunch by a coworker that I didn't know was involved in this and then when I got there they had their upstream boss with them and they gave me a 30 minute presentation in the middle of the business (And they paid for my lunch so I felt obligated to sit there). I bluntly let them know that it's not cool to lie to me, especially if they expect me to become a future partner (I obviously had no intention of this). If this happened again I would pay for my own lunch and politely tell them that thanks but it's not something that I feel would be a good fit for me and that I wouldn't make any money for them.

Or they will hang out a few times and then spring it on you all of a sudden when they invite you over to dinner with their wife and kids watching. With their upstream boss, who has the tactic of building a neutral rapport with you for an hour before they actually get into it.

They tell you right off the bat it's not a pyramid scheme, that you will be helping others (I've even had a member of the local pro team come into one of these things and tell us how it helped him get to the Stanley cup finals. Don't know how the guy wrangled a pro into it), the (technically) right point that your money grows geometrically the more people you sign up, that another coworker that we all like (But is dumb as a brick) has signed up and is doing great. That I'm known for being an entrepreneur and he thinks that he is too and that we have a lot in common as far as that goes, etc...

It's not that I believe any of this but how do I get out of the presentation gracefully when they start into it. Especially the situation when I'm at their family dinner?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  8. blackbirdbeatle

I did this already. I wasn't scheduled to work but I came in anyway and gave her shit for 20 minutes before leaving. I said that if he keeps bugging me I'm going to have to fire the guy and it'll be because she gave him my confidential information without my consent. Harassment by a coworker on your own time is still grounds for termination at our company.

I'm keeping my number but I'm sitting him down at work next time and telling him that by tricking people into giving my information that was grounds for termination. That if he calls me for anything but a work related emergency or to have a 100% scam free cup of coffee I will get the ball rolling with HR because I feel I'm being harassed.

And the do not call thing for non-businesses is set up in Canada where I live. I'll do that this week so thanks for reminding me.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Of course they know -- and they want you to pay them for the privilege of working for them, so they have a better shot of being in the 0.6% that turn a profit.

What sorts of places do you work that anyone is stupid enough to fall for these pyramid schemes anyway?

What the fuck? Why is your boss giving out this information for ANY reason?

Firing him won't make him stop calling. However, telling him you'll report his ass to HR for intentionally deceiving a manager if he doesn't stop...that probably will work.

10. deusexaethera

That is the definition of a pyramid scheme. These programs prey on people who are inclined to believe whatever they're told as long as they're told by charismatic people, which is why they can get away with calling a spade a diamond and everyone's cool with it.

Just interrupt, say "sorry, I'm not interested", and stand up and leave. Optionally, tell his wife the food was very good. Don't let yourself get talked back to the table. Just walk the fuck out. Allow just enough of your anger to motivate you so you don't get roped into giving a shit about the guy's feelings. Besides, you're doing him a favor by making a fool of him in front of his family; they all know it's a scam, but they don't want to confront him directly about it.

11. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Yeah after the 1st time or 2nd time I'd be livid and if someone scammed another co worker to give them my personal information so they can call me at home, I'd be PISSED. I congratulate you on being able to stay clam through it. I wouldn't be able to and would have flipped on the 2nd time.

12. blackbirdbeatle

See, I don't think that they know that the odds are that bad. I think that they actually believe that they can make a ton. In fact, I believe that you can get into just about any other legitimate business and have a better chance of succeeding. I could sell magic beans and have a better than 0.6% chance of turning a profit.

You'd be surprised. They come from all backgrounds. I've even had a nutritionist come to me. A person with a degree in nutritional science for fuck sakes. I was floored.

Because she is retarded.

13. blackbirdbeatle

Yes it is but legally they have it set up that it falls just under the gov'ts definition of a pyramid scheme. And I wouldn't underestimate the power of a charismatic or authority figure in convincing even very smart people to do stupid things. History and science is littered with examples. Chances are near 100% that you would have killed the guy in a Milgram's experiment or the patient that RN's were told by a 'doctor' on the phone to give a lethal dose to.

This might be the only way that I'll do it. By convincing myself it's best for the family. Because otherwise I feel so horrible for the wife that I just sit through it, even though I'm livid at the husband. But every time the meal is over and I see them at work I take them aside and tell them clearly how I felt about being ambushed. However, this usually doesn't stop them from bugging me unless I say something to damage our relationship, which sucks if you work with them.

14. 7960

7960 New Member

why did you stay for 30 minutes?

I've been invited to these, and as soon as I figured it out, I left.

Hmm......but you were lying to them by taking their lunch. You may have said you weren't interested, but you took their lunch so they kept thinking you *might* be interested. Next time, get up and leave.

15. blackbirdbeatle

Because I'm too nice.

Lunch was on the one guy, as in: Hey, we get along at work, do you want to have some coffee and a sandwhich on me and we can bullshit about whatever? Then as I'm eating he goes into this spiel and I'm thinking wtf mid-bite. Or another time the thing played out in a deli and his boss came in after I was almost done. Next time I will promptly put down the money for the meal and leave.

I've bought lunch for coworkers and they have for me before without the hidden agenda of getting them to buy into some ridiculous scam. I don't think I was being naive.

16. deusexaethera

Not bloody likely. I second-guess everyone, even doctors. Pisses them off to no end, but I've caught problems before. Like the time I had little red spots appear all over me, and they wanted to send me out for a spinal tap and leukemia testing, when it turned out the problem was a Vitamin K deficiency.

I'm not going to say I'm immune to magical thinking, but I'm a very rational person by nature and I was raised to be a rational skeptic whenever appropriate. Saved me from all kinds of bullshit.

Whatever makes you feel empowered.

17. deusexaethera

But they obviously don't care about your feelings, or they wouldn't be dragging your ass out to Starbucks just to throw brochures at you.

Love is love and business is business. How you feel about them, and how they feel about you, has nothing to do with whether you're interested in going to work for them. If the answer is "no", then say so and leave.

18. deusexaethera

Actually, that's not surprising at all. Nutritionists are constantly peddling magic pills called "vitamins" that might do some good, but probably don't, and the companies that make them turn a fucking fortune from their hard work. My aunt owns a natural food store and you wouldn't believe the snake oil she's got in there. It's the exact same thing, only they're selling bottle full of pills instead of bottles full of lawnmower clippings and sugar water.

19. 7960

7960 New Member

I don't think you were being naive, I think you were
    I would have left.

20. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Doesn't work very well on these people.

Like the TS pointed out, the vast majority lose money. They're trying to make money, and the only way they can do that is to somehow trick hundreds of people into doing it as well.

21. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

irrelevant to this problem. This is a person he works with, not someone calling cold

22. teo

teo . => ? => !

Get every single one of these people alone and demand their complete and undivided attention. Say: "Look. I like you as a person, but do not try to sell anything to me. I am not interested. I will never be interested. If you continue, I will consider it harassment. I don't want to see a good working relationship destroyed, but if you continue, it will be."

As for your boss, sit her down, demand her complete and undivided attention, and tell her that under no circumstances should she be giving out your personal information without your express consent. Also tell her that she does not have your consent. Edit: She probably broke a law in there somewhere.

You can get a salary at a place which isn't full of MLM fandouchebags.