SRS UGH, I just don't know what to do about my family. :/

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BlackMagik, Sep 18, 2008.

1. BlackMagik

BlackMagik And now the robot starts to think...

Decided to live with the parents while I finish up my last year of school before I go do my last 2 years at a University, and needless to say, it's been rough. My parents have always been the kind of people that are very careless, and lack any sort of motivation to make their lives better. Neither of my parents went to college, not to say that in a way that demeans them, but my problem with that is the fact that neither of them see the true importance of getting a good education it seems. My dad always talks bad about people who go to college, and claims that most people that go to college, can't survive the "real world". He refers to anything negative that happens as, "welcome to the real world", as if the world is an incredibly shitty and unfair place to live in, and anybody who seeks pleasure whether it be in hobbies, or anything else is just being naive to the fact that in the "real world" there are no pleasures. Take for example today I decided to run up to Best Buy to see if they had any MiniSD cards on sale, my mom saw me walking out the door and asked where I was going, and I said Best Buy, and she busts out into this huge lecture about how times are tough, and we're entering another great depression, and how I'm spending all my money, and not contributing to the house by buying Milk and Orange juice.

Fast forward to about 15 minutes ago, when I once again, got stuck in the fucking bathroom because no one wants to acknowledge that the doorknob is fucking broken, and it locks people in the bathroom. After about 6 minutes of banging on the door, I finally get out, and tell my mom that we should fix the doorknob, where this time my dad starts screaming about how all I do is complain about things wrong in the house, and that instead of, and I quote, "spending hundreds of dollars today at best buy buying a cell phone" where I have absolutely no fucking clue where he heard that from, I should buy a new doorknob to replace the broken one. :ugh:

I never complained about the doorknob, I just simply said it was broken. This among other things that my parents do that annoy me like, never paying bills on time, not doing shit about the ant infestation in the kitchen (which I already took care of myself), and not beating the fucking shit out of my brother when he brings home an F from school (kids in danger of failing senior year :ugh:)

I guess the bottom line is, why the fuck have my parents dropped so many ranks in class over the last 5 years? It's like they don't even give a fuck about anything anymore. I constantly struggle financially since I'm paying for all my schooling myself, and my parents still complain that I never contribute around the house (even though I pay for internet, and cable even though I'm a full-time college student).

Why the fuck does my family suck so much OT?

2. BlackMagik

BlackMagik And now the robot starts to think...

Oh and just to throw this in the mix, my parents have been going through a VERY hard time over the last year due to this whole economic crisis we're having. Last I heard our home was getting foreclosed, and my father was filing for bankruptcy.

I can't wait to make it on my own, I really intend on helping them out when I start making decent money after I graduate, but it's getting harder and harder to feel any sympathy when all they do is talk shit behind my back.

3. OhFourTwoThree

OhFourTwoThree New Member

I'm actually quite sad that you are putting our parents down. I don't agree with your father being so negative about seeking higher education but they may get on your back about your spending because they themselves are suffering financially. They are just worried about you and maybe, they could use some financial help around the house too. Not everybody is lucky enough to have parents who can afford everything and don't expect anything from their kids but to go to school and get good grades.

4. Striker22

Striker22 New Member

This is all 2 common to me. Makes no sense why they would..

5. demosnat

demosnat New Member

I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm about to start law school and although my mom says she's proud of me I keep feeling like she's waiting for me to fail so she can inform me that 'things are harder than you think welcome to real world...' despite the fact that i've been living on my own for four years (since my 18th bday) and supporting myself 100 percent, tuition and all. She's actually not speaking to me at the moment, I went grocery shopping and she tagged along and found the fact that I buy fresh produce (not canned) and just generally food fit for human consumption (I am a good shopper though and still spend maybe 50 bucks a week on food) appalling.
    I don't know why your parents slipped, but for her it was retirement coupled with depression and she just quit trying and let her life, her body, and her home slip into disrepair.
    Your best bet is really just to keep your mouth shut. They're your parents and probably think they're helping you by keeping you from being disappointed if school doesn't work out, and helping you save for the upcoming financial difficulties. Try to help out around the house (honestly, you really ought to just fix the doorknob) avoid difficult subjects and if you buy anything gadgety try to keep it to yourself.