WEB Ugh.. how do you deal with coders block / staying motivated?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TurkeyChicken, Oct 3, 2007.

1. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I've got two sites that I want to get finished by the end of the month. They've both got a pretty good start, but over the last few weeks I've been bogged the hell down at work and get home and just don't have motivation to code.

I usually open my code, then end up dicking around on the net or something because my brain simply doesn't want to do anything.

Any advice on how to get around this block?

2. pkr

pkr Guest

blow and hookers.

But honestly usually in the very early mornings I get a lot of shit done because I'm not tired and nothing is going on (people are asleep still). Try that.

3. BrettRT

BrettRT New Member

Do you code all day then have to go home and code the same stuff, but for a separate project?

In my past I've had the same problem with freelance projects, and what I did was take a personal day off from work and went home to finish them. That way, my mind was still in coding mindset for a 8-5 workday, yet I was free to work on my side projects instead of work.

Just an idea, not sure if you are able to do that.

4. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

yeah, I'm a webmaster at my real job, then come home and freelance.

I haven't been able to take any days off because i've been so busy lately. Also, I was gone for two weekends on a business trip, so that took up time when I usually do a lot of coding.

pkr, I might start doing that... just go to bed an hour or two early and get up at like 4 or 5 in the morning and code :o

5. Frequency

Frequency New Member

As counter productive as it might seen i drink

and out of these drinking sessions i end up with some pretty slick code / ideas

6. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

:rofl:

i tried that once a few years ago. I think I'll try getting up early and see what happens :x:

7. eskarinna

eskarinna New Member

i just come home have dinner take 1 hr of havy drinking break and get going. Usualy drinking by myself infront of visual studio helps me stay more focused and gets me going. I'd assume that only works if drinking doesnt affect you to the point of clouding your skills and better judgement

8. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I actually got up at 4:45am today and coded for about and hour and a half before getting ready for work. that worked pretty well :bowdown:

9. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

I think everyone has their "sweet spot", just gotta find yours. Mine is early in the morning.. 2-5am.. if I stay up late, for whatever reason (insomnia usually, had it for years, or if I come home late from work).. I crank stuff out in 1 night that'd normally take me a few days.. plus it's usually 10x better than anything i'd normally come up with.

10. pkr

pkr Guest

:cool: Told ya ;)