COMIC ugh, Chris Claremont needs to be forced into retirement

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Sock, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Sock

Sock New Member

Out of vacation boredom Ive been rereading a bunch of old comic series' in my collection as well as completing some through downloading and whatnot. Not only did this make me realize that it was Chris Claremont's awful writing that killed my interest in X-Men 6 or so years ago, but he also destroyed the Exiles, which I found to be a pretty enjoyable series before hijacking it and replacing all the characters with the same characters he uses in every fucking book (Psylocke, Rogue, Shadowcat and the one named after a spice who always wears sunglasses). Im honestly shocked that they didnt pop up in his Aliens vs Predator.

I realize the man had an important run on X-Men up until 15 years ago or so, but I cant think of one decent thing hes done since. Why are they still giving him books?

cliffs: I hate Chris Claremont. A lot.

2. daaarn

daaarn New Member

:werd: to all of the above. when i was coming back from a comic book hiatus a couple years ago, i decided to pick up Uncanny X-Men again (one of the few titles i was reading before i took my comics break). lo and behold, Claremont was writing it and it sucked. that helped kill my comics comeback (although to be fair, none of the other comics interested me at the time so i decided to drop everything again) and it wasn't until after he got shifted away to one of the other auxiliary X-books that i fully came back. too bad for Exiles. i was actually liking some of the older trades i was reading recently, but Claremont has killed any interest i had in actually getting the ongoing.

3. Hiero

Hiero New Member

I hate Claremont for his treatment of Exiles. HATE.

4. Sock

Sock New Member

I forced myself to read those last 10 issues solely because of how much I loved the first 90 and each one was more painful than the last. It was just one Claremont cliche after another. First came the overly verbose dialog with needless narrations , excessive thought bubbles and pointless tendencies for characters to speak out loud what they are thinking and doing. Then comes the plots that are only borderline coherent with ridiculous and unexplained twists and a complete lack of subtlety when dealing with alternate dimensions that made the first 90 issues work so well. Then came the Claremont body snatcher move where he swaps out one by one the characters that made the comic with his own go to characters, until few of the characters remain. And to complete his hijacking he restarts the series over again with roughly the same team and themes he has used for the past 5 years.

he is the Mutant X of writers, going from book to book, taking over their body and draining the life force out of it before ditching its husk and moving on to the next. That and he is evil.

5. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

:hsugh:

What he said.

6. showtime2k4

showtime2k4 New Member

[​IMG]
    this is where he peaked
    (and the movie they should make, but wont cuz they're ghey)

7. THE LIOG

THE LIOG EVVVVVVVVEERRYYOONNNNNNNE EEEEE

:rofl::rofl::rofl: