MMA UFC vs. Pride Fighting

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Axespeed, May 1, 2006.

1. Axespeed

Axespeed It's only after we've lost everything, that we're OT Supporter

Dont blame me if repost..

I hate Pride for being PPV only..

2. Gomi Bear

Gomi Bear New Member

stick to lurking? :dunno:

3. Gomi Bear

Gomi Bear New Member

I love both.

:love:

4. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

wtf? UFC is PPV only... TUF is not UFC, TUF is a part of the UFC but its not the UFC.

And I like both, they both offer great fights.

Edit* And if you're talking about the older UFC's they show on Spike, they've been showing older Pride on FSN lately also.

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  5. JustGod

JustGod New Member

Both have their good and bad points.

/thread

6. seanjohn

seanjohn i like to lurk, so DIAF OT Supporter

personally, i like PrideFC because it offers more variety/quality fighters than the UFC.
    also, the atmosphere just seems more festive and the personality of the fighters show through alot more than UFC.

the only thing that i dont like about both organizations is that the champs dont fight enough.

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I also don't like the UFC for being in a cage and not a ring (although I really think they should be on ground level, then we wouldn't have fighters falling into the ring or holding the ropes. Cage is weaksauce.

8. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I used to thing ring > cage but now I am pro cage and anti-resetting. resetting in the middle of the ring is the weakest of the sauce. Interrupts the flow of the fight sooooooooooo bad

9. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

they don't fight any less than any other fighters

and Gomi fought like 11 times in the past 2 years. i'd say that's pretty fucking often. fedor fought like 7-8 times in the past 2 years, etc.

you can't fight too often, especially with injuries and whatnot. it comes with the territory

10. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

yeah, I think they fight quite often. I mean jesus, at least its no where like boxing where they'll only fight like maybe once a year if they're lucky.

11. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i don't like the cage because people rely on it too much, and i think that the fight shouldn't utilize outside factors such as the fence as much as possible. liddell, for example, is awesome as using the cage, both legally and otherwise. he's damn good at pressing his back to the fence to get up from the ground, but he also grabs it a lot to prevent takedowns

however, i love how PRIDE resets in the middle of the ring. i think that it doesn't interrupt the flow, but rather does the opposite. by resetting the fight in the middle of the ring, it neutralizes any advantage/disadvantage given by the ropes.

12. seanjohn

seanjohn i like to lurk, so DIAF OT Supporter

you know what? i take it back.

after looking at most of the fight history for UFC and Pride champs, it seems like the UFC champs dont fight enough when compared to the Pride champs.

13. I like the cage but I think that if the person on top can use it to his advantage, the person on the bottom should be able to grab a hold of it and try to get up as well :dunno:

14. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I'd rather have the fight interrupted than have some dude WIN based on some bull shit by pinning a dude to the cage... it takes no skill and it is done in almost every UFC fight I watch. Just one of the many reasons why the UFC isn't to be taken seriously.

15. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Im with skeletor watching entire rounds of some guy pinning another guy to the side of the cage is boring.

Pride has better fighters better spectacle and more fighting per fight.

16. JustGod

JustGod New Member

I'd have to agree. Restarting in the middle of the ring really messes with how the fight is going. A lot of times a fighter in trouble will position himself near the ropes to try and get a break. Having a lot of awkward looking guys trying to hold in the fighters doesn't look too great either. Not to mention the fiascos that happen when everyone runs in, or someone falls out. Although there hasn't been much of the latter in Pride.

If you're against the use of the cage, then you should be equally against the use of the ring (Holding the ropes, positioning yourself for a restart, etc). You can't fault one for the same reason as the other. As has been shown in this thread, the cage can be neutral as to who it helps. It can just as easily help a Liddell get back up as it can help a Tito pin someone against it. Now if you want to talk about a weapon, look into the use of a gi.

17. Axespeed

Axespeed It's only after we've lost everything, that we're OT Supporter

I meant that T.V. (Spike) at least offers some UFC (Unleashed, Ultimate Fighter) rather then PrideFC which is only on PPV (as far as i know)

But yeah i sort of like the cage better because it becomes more brutal..where people slam other people against it

Both are great to watch though, Pride seems to has a bigger variety of fighters

18. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

i've seen pride played on some local cable channel here in SoFla. completely free :)

19. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Both of them have different things to offer, ufc is more entertaining to me because my friends who i watch it with follow it better, but pride definately puts more money in its fighters and what not.

20. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

how did this thread get moved from the sherdog wasteland? :squint:

21. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I already cited holding the ropes, but at least if they're holding the ropes that's just giving them some added balance and people will pull the ropes away from them asap (and if htey do it too much they'd get a yellowcard)... In the cage if you pin someone to it you have a huge advantage, you can't say it's neutral because people can get up... have you ever tried standing up (with or without a cage to pull on) from a prone position when someone is trying to kick you in the head or elbow you?

Having to restart the fight is a normal part of ring fighting, and I'd rather see it happen than have fighters win by using their environment against their opponent rather than fighting skill.

22. JustGod

JustGod New Member

"i don't like the cage because people rely on it too much, and i think that the fight shouldn't utilize outside factors such as the fence as much as possible. liddell, for example, is awesome as using the cage, both legally and otherwise. he's damn good at pressing his back to the fence to get up from the ground"

Maybe more people should train that aspect because, yes, it does make it more neutral. I've seen it happening more nowadays, but I think people still underutilize it. Also, if you're in a prone position you don't really have to worry about someone kicking you in the head in the UFC. Not to mention that if you're in the prone position (Laying face down) chances that being turned on your back and pushed against the fence are the least of your worries.

Sure it's normal, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. It's a complete break in the flow of the fight, and you can't recreate what was happening exactly. Fighting skill can involve using the environment. Such as a person using their gi for a choke/control, or the ground for a slam. Inching towards the edge of the ring seems a bit less skillful to me.

Perhaps they should add a net to the bottom like they did in old Vale Tudo events. At least they realized one major flaw with a ring which was intended for standup fighting.

23. JustGod

JustGod New Member

Whoa, what am I doing? This thread shouldn't even be here.

24. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Guest

fucken :werd: man

25. cabbage

cabbage Current USGA index 2.7 OT Supporter

Pride is on FSN here