MMA UFC vs. Affliction, part II

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

Affliction: ‘Day of Reckoning’ PPV to go head-to-head with UFC 91 replay on Spike TV Jan. 24

By: MMAmania
    [​IMG]

It’s déjà vu all over again for Affliction MMA on January 24.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has once again scheduled big-time Spike TV programming to counter an event from the upstart promotion.

“Day of Reckoning” is the sophomore effort for Affliction, featuring one of the most anticipated fights in the history of the sport between WAMMA Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emelianenko and former UFC title holder Andrei Arlovski.

It’s a very important show for the future of Affliction, meaning that it needs as many fans as possible to tune in and purchase its pay-per-view (PPV) offering.

But, as usual, Dana White and Co. are going to do their best to ensure that doesn’t happen.

On the same night and at the same time, Spike TV will debut UFC 91: “Couture vs. Lesnar,” which was billed as the “biggest fight in UFC history,” hauling in the second biggest pay-per-view (PPV) booty ever for Zuffa.

Lesnar defeated Randy Couture via second round technical knockout to capture the heavyweight crown in the UFC 91 main event. Kenny Florian toppled Joe Stevenson with a first round submission in the co-featured bout of the evening, reinforcing his position as the clearcut number one title contender in the 155-pound division.

It originally took place on November 15, 2008.

This latest news, of course, is made worse for Affliction because Golden Boy Promotions, which is supposed to be a promotional partner, is hosting a welterweight superfight between four-time world champion “Sugar” Shane Mosley and Mexican sensation Antonio Margarito also on January 24.

“Day of Reckoning” has already been postponed — it was supposed to be held on October 11, 2008, before being moved to the new date. Perhaps the powers that be at Affliction are now wondering if they played that card a little too soon.

January 24 has turned into a crazy uphill battle … as if pulling off a successful mixed martial arts show wasn’t difficult enough on its own.

2. Mountain Dude

Mountain Dude Here it comes, and there it goes, another day in d

I'll still be getting the Affliction card, thats for sure.

3. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

the hardcore fans will obviously still watch affliction's card (legally or not)

however the casual mma "fan" will probably be tuned in to spike. i am not sure how much this will affect afflictions bottom line anways since the people buying their ppv probably already saw ufc 91 :dunno:

4. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Will be wearing the day of :bowdown:

5. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Support Affliction bros.

Really though, there is no reason we can't have another org providing a good night of fights once in a while.

6. pepsi

pepsi Cut my life into pieces

they should reshow their last event against one of the ufc's ppv for free

7. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

pretty much expected. i think im just going to buy a cheap ticket and go than pay almost as much for the ppv :o

8. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

affliction ftmfw

9. friedrice

friedrice New Member

What I don't get is this. Dana and the boys cut fighters because they suck or what not. So they go fight for another org to make ends. Then the UFC goes and tried to shut down the other orgs that these fighters goto. Why bother if they are sub par fighters anyways?

10. roose

roose Guest

Dana invented MMA and hates to see it copied.

11. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Cause among the subpar guys various orgs have other draws, Affliction's being their HW's which the UFC is only recently getting noticed again for.

Pretty much Dana doesn't want any kind of edge over the UFC, even if it's one facet of many. I understand it, but I also hate it.

12. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

mma was looking great when the year started we had pro elite and all of their leagues putting on shows, dream was coming out and there were high hopes and affliction put on a bad ass card. With pro elite falling and all of these great leagues going with it alot of people are feeling shitty about mma because the UFC is the only big show in town. To many of these leagues are being mismanaged and going for the head honcho position to fast when they should be trying to set up a solid fan base.

I honestly think that the only league that will ever grow big enough to rival the UFC is going to be strikeforce. They have a very solid fan base going, a tv deal and they manage their money accordingly. I think if they ever start expanding they will pose a threat to the UFC

13. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

it's competition, so nothing wrong with that as long as they're not using shady business tactics

14. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

:werd: I'll be buying Affliction. I already saw UFC 91 anyway, but even if I hadn't, I'd just record the free one and buy the PPV.

15. REDTAIL

REDTAIL New Member

the history of the Fertittas. lol.

Lorenzo Shadey Fertitta.