MMA UFC screwing over their fighters

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by ZSPTurbo, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

Is it just me or is the UFC TRYING to screw their fighters over? In the first place they pay most of the fighters like absolute shit, and make half their fighters sit on their asses for extended periods of time, and those are the fighters they like. The ones they don't like they try to screw over and drag their contractual obligations out as long as possible, and then when they finally do let go of the fighters they make their last fight one they're sure to lose (tito vs machida, huerta vs sherk if that happens, etc). But now it's a whole new level of douchebaggery. First it was the bullshit with the life-long rights to the fighters images. Then they started talking about controlling the sponsors and taking a cut of the money. And now they are opening their own line of mma gyms? Are you fucking kidding me? That's where most mma fighters make a majority of their income, they open gyms and capitolize on their names!

I used to think that Dana was trying to advance the sport in spite of the minor negative effects it had on the fighters. Now I think he has absolutely no consideration for them at all, I think he views fighters as expendable assets that exist only so the he can advance his company and his bank account.

Fuck Dana White and the Fertittas.

2. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

if you dont like it, dont watch :dunno:

3. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

:hsugh:

Modern day Don King.

I don't think he's doing it intentionally, just think it's business.

4. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Do you think there are more or less fighters who make their entire living off of fighting since Dana has taken over the UFC?

5. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Dana is great for the sport and for the fighters.

Who else is going to pay non elite fighters more(and not go bankrupt doing it)?

Who gives them the best venue to get their names out?

The fighters will get better sponsors with the UFC managing it rather than some shit managers(aka, their coach) and will put them in contact with more companies. This far out weighs the 15% hit they will take(their "managers" will make 10% anyway).

The MMA gyms will be a great place for older fighters to pick up jobs after they can't fight to make a living. This is great because they may not have the income to start there own gym and this keeps the UFC brand strong.

So umm....whats the problem again?

Quit jumping on bandwagon bitching and try some critical thinking skills.

Jesus Christ, I hate people that feel the need to bitch about something because they are bored.

6. Helios

Helios New Member

The UFC needs top level competition, they get away with far too much being the only big name promotion.

7. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

]

/endthread&fatality

seriously it looks unfair for the guys not making big figure checks but if they had better management alot of them wouldnt be in the position and technically if they are making that money in the UFC what would they have been making in lower organisations?

I know a few fighters around town that are making 1k-1500 a fight (they just started) butits all about getting the big ticket sponsor

8. REDTAIL

REDTAIL New Member

I've called this for years. I have seen what the Fertittas have done with their businesses. Why the fuck do you think they wanted to buy pride? Because it posed a threat to the u.s. market. UFC will do everything it can to force fighters into not havcing a choice.. When they dont have a choice they'll either remain unknown, get underpaid or get strongarmed into career decisions they wouldn't normally do.

9. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

dingdingding! we have a winner.

and to the haters... :fawk:

10. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i take it you didn't read anything else posted in this thread :hsugh:

11. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

Haters? We have different opinions, not hating.
    :greddy:

12. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

of course they bought pride because they were competition

as unethical as some practices may seem to pedestrian fans, guess what? perfect competition does not exist, and given the nature of sports, the UFC has to step on lots of toes to pave the way

do you also bitch about the MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, or any other pro sports and their lack of competition?

13. dengar

Pride was also going under and put themselves in a position to be bought.

14. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

yup, the UFC was trying to "save" them from going under, but PRID was such a mess behind the scenes in just about every aspect that it was a lost cause

15. DJ Cripsen

DJ Cripsen New Member

They needs to start a fighters union.

16. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

isn't that what Tito and Randy were both preaching a year ago?

17. REDTAIL

REDTAIL New Member

different sports teams are like different organizations dude..thats a terrible comparison. There are different options there rather than you only can have a pro career with us and it's going to be 2,500 for your first fight...oh ya and you might only fight twice this year....WHO THE FUCK CALLS THAT A CAREER.

18. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

sport teams are not like MMA organizations. they fall under the umbrella of their respective leagues

fine, bitch and moan as much as you want. what it comes down to is, did Dana White put a gun to these fighters heads and make them sign on the dotted line?

the undercard/lower tiered UFC fighters aren't paid much because it's a weeding out process. the ones that win and succeed move on and get paid more (i.e. Huerta...if he stuck to it). others get booted off because they couldn't cut it

also, as others have mentioned, getting a fight in the UFC means more visibility, which leads to more sponsors and getting your name out there

it'd be a shitty business model to pay every fighter what you think they should be paid. granted, they could be paid more, but businesses are rarely run on ethics and good deeds, especially seeing how the UFC is relatively in its infancy

19. dengar

These guys are making more than we know.
    We just see the numbers submitted to the athletic commissions.

I know alot of these guys aren't in the position to openly bitch about fighter pay, etc. Even still we have never seen anyone complain that didn't have some sort of anti-UFC vendetta (Randy/Tito...ok maybe Kalib Starns)

20. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

I hope you don't own 1 piece of name brand clothing. Its the way business works. They will gross profit as much as they can run it for another 5 years show earnings of 300mil a year. Sell it for 500 mill. Walk away laughing.

21. SurlyDuff

SurlyDuff Well-Known Member

UFC branded gyms are a logical brand extension that will target the mainstream audience and won't affect the enrollment of fighter owned gyms who target the enthusiast. It will also provide a venue for lesser known UFC fighters who don't have their own gyms to teach seminars to an audience who will know who they are. They will generate revenue for the UFC and the fighters alike, as well as continue to build the UFC's name recognition.

The UFC wants more control over sponsors because they are trying to cultivate a uniform appearance for their product. Having CONDOMDEPOT.COM in bold letters all over a fighters shorts makes the UFC look ameturish and doesn't project the image that 'this is the premier mixed martial arts venue in the world' to the casual fan. Taking control of sponsors allows them to control what is shown on their stage and dirrectly effects how they will be percieved by the mainstream audience.

By taking an active roll in sponsorships they will also put the might of their marketing machine behind fighters seeking sponsorships and will lead to them getting bigger sponsorships from bigger companies. Sure, the UFC will charge a fee, but it is peanuts compared to the value and influence they will add to fighters seeking sponsorships. Would you rather be sponsored by condomdepot.com for peanuts or Bud Light for serious bank, even after the UFC's fee? Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor vs. Bud Light. Not a tough choice.

Fighters on the undercard are payed exactly what the deserve and by even being featured on a UFC card the UFC is giving their seal of approval to the fighter and building their equity. More importantly, they are given an oppertunity to show what they've got on the worlds biggest MMA stage. Win over the fans and your profile and paycheck will increase quickly. Even those that don't perform well and are dropped maintain the title of "former UFC fighter", boosting their profile and drawing power in lesser shows and in the regional scene.

Some of you act like it is a sin for a business to make a profit. The financial well being of the UFC directly influences the well being of the fighters they employ.

Maybe they should be more like EliteXC and hemorage money carelessly leading to bancruptcy leaving their fighters unemployed and stuck in contractual limbo for a year, destroying all their sponsorships and value... Or maybe they should be like Affliction and not be able to offer their fighters the sense of security of knowing you will have another show and when it will be, if ever.

22. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Its business :dunno: its how any self respecting businessman would run it.

23. REDTAIL

REDTAIL New Member

well, agree to disagree. You're clearly uneducated on the subject. Neither one of us is "in the business". but what I DO know is that when one company runs a particular sport, it's worse for the fighters and the people who spend money on following it. When competing organizations have to get creative we all win. They will still be able to put on show and be ridiculously rich.. so it's not even a survival issue for them. lol.

By the way it's not only about cash either..it extends into rights, sponsors, etc.

24. .Tim

.Tim New Member

I'd be willing to bet that most people that bash the UFC's business practices have never run a business and would not be able to run one successfully if they tried. Besides, none of us have ANY idea what goes on behind closed doors and how every single fighter is being treated. Even if some are being treated poorly, doesn't mean everyone is. I bet you could find some NFL players being treated poorly. Some of you just hate the UFC and will find any reason to bash them. Now it's they don't pay enough, soon it'll be that they pay too much.

25. Helios

Helios New Member

Baseball players along with athletes in all of those other leagues have the ability to shop around various teams which have their own owners, which forms the competition. And Bud Selig doesn't tell A-rod what he can or can't do, the yankees manager and owner can - but he's also able to leave and go to another team if he wants to.

In MMA there's essentially one person paying everyone, which makes it far more similar to the WWE business structure.