MMA UFC possibly banning Affliction

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by SCirone, Jan 25, 2008.

1. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

2. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

makes sense. if they may become a competitor why allow them to display their brand on your product.

3. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

They wouldnt let fighters wear a EliteXC shirt either.

4. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

sucks for the guys being sponsored.

5. Rob H

Rob H New Member

time for them to talk to loco for sponsorships lol

6. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

so have their been other sports where competeing leagues existed during the sport's rise in popularity? Seems like UFC's desire to maintain a rear naked choke (haha, get it?) on it's fighters might backfire.

I guess american football, but there were only 2 leagues (i think) so combining them wasn't that hard. I'm not a fighter though, what do you guys think?

7. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

:werd: TU can capitalize!

8. baseball is the most notable.

http://www.amazon.com/Pay-Dirt-Jame...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201285708&sr=1-1

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2008
  9. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Good luck! :bowdown:

10. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

ah dana, you crazy businessman

11. I really hate the way dana does business.

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

yep. i thought it was pretty simple too but some don't get it. maybe your post will clear it up for em

13. Unless I'm mistaken, anything Affliction does wouldn't be 'competition' with the UFC in any real sense. It would be small, local shows. i.e. more of the 'feeder leagues' that the entire UFC enterprise stands upon. They cut fighters loose after a few losses so that they can go to those leagues and get more fight experience.

A local show with no cable access is not going to cut into UFC PPV or ticket sales.

It's also interesting that UFC has long allowed Lindland/Couture to push Sportfight. I wonder if they're going to prevent Nogueira from doing Minotauro Fights anymore.

I'm not particularly infuriated by this specifically, or saying it's illegal or unethical, but in general, Dana seems to make some bad decisions, both for business and for the sport. Also, he always chooses business over sport, which upsets me as a fan.

14. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

but its dana and the UFC, so anything they do has to be taken way to seriously and skewed as being unethical and immoral.

15. Optamix

Optamix New Member

It seems like people just want Dana to be a bad president of the UFC.

I think he has done a hell of a job.

16. Well I guess I can't fully speak of this until I see what Affliction's actual relationship to whatever fight promotion is.

I just don't see the harm in allowing affliction the clothing company to continue sponsoring fighters and advertising its clothing. I could see banning "affliction fights".

fuck it, I'm glad I don't have to see those shirts anymore.

17. See, we're making the same argument.

Budweiser is a beer company, so a small involvement in clothing wouldn't make them not a beer company, so they would still be competing with Miller's "Micky's" brand.

Affliction is a clothing company, so a small involvement in MMA promoting doesn't make them a MMA promotion, so they wouldn't be compating with UFC's brand.

This is all assuming of course that Affliction does what one would think they're doing, and takes a small amount of their money to get involved with fights on a small scale.

another reason I think it's lame is because the sponsors aren't a "bonus" payment on top of UFC purses, it's basically part of the same compensation package. Those guys wouldn't go out and fight for 2k/2k without the sponsors, so for the UFC to just boot a sponsor could hurt the fighters.

18. I just get unhappy because it seems that UFC competes as much on market power and influence as on quality of product and price.

19. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Isnt Black House like directly related to Affliction?

20. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

why is the UFC bad for not wanting to support a possible competitor.
    why is the UFC bad for running the smartest MMA promotion there is

Look how MMA has grown in this country and now think of how much of that is due to the UFC and the way they have conducted their business and promoted their brand. Why would they help promote a competitor of any kind, to be upset by the UFC protecting their brand is silly.

hell most people call MMA UFC cause the only thing they know of MMA is UFC. sure people here watch and know about many other leagues and promoters etc, but many MANY average UFC fans don't, many UFC fans only know of or think of UFC so why would the UFC advertise competition to those fans and give them a step up

of all those PPV purchases how many of those people go to small shows or PPV other MMA events....a small % is the answer to that (in the USA anyway, and especially since Pride is gone) Hell even when Pride was big how many USA UFC fans knew anything about it? not that many till it was about over with and on Fox sports.

UFC has practically gained all of the USA market, why risk that at all by helping any other organization out in any way? wouldn't make sense

you won't see Wal-Mart handing out Target coupons

(i miss pride, and wish the UFC had some better competition and i wish fighters fought in many different organizations etc etc, but i don't hold it against the UFC that they try to snuff that out, it's smart business can't be angry at them for it)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  21. Not to mention the fact that we'll see more quality fighters on the sidelines (arlovski, couture, lindland) without any real competition (RIP Pride) to scoop them up.

Also, without a pride around, fighters are getting a worse deal because there's no competition to drive up their wages.

22. So, loco, you gonna spill what you've heard. I think everyone is willing to accept that it's just a rumor and may be totally false.

23. Is that where you put your hands on my bathing suit area? Because you made me do that last time.

24. Trueno

Trueno Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

99% of the guys that wear affliction shirts are a bunch of douches.

25. 100% of the guys that wear Triumph United shirts pull so much pussy you wouldn't believe it.