MMA UFC offers Vera $200k per fight, Vera declines and demands $1M per + bonuses

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

what a fucking prima donna

http://ufcjunkie.com/2007/02/11/report-brandon-vera-turned-down-ufcs-offer-of-200000-per-fight/

Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 11:46 am
    Report: Brandon Vera Turned Down UFC’s Offer of $200,000 per Fight

Posted by UFC Junkie on February 11, 2007 at 11:46 am ET
    [​IMG]

After quickly rising to a top UFC heavyweight contender, Brandon Vera (8-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) now apparently has some pretty substantial salary demands. In fact, according to a WrestlingObserver.com report discussed by MMAlowdown.com, Vera has turned down a UFC offer that would have paid the fighter a guaranteed $200,000 per fight.
    Vera, amazingly, reportedly demanded at least $1 million per fight — and an unheard-of signing bonus.
    From MMAlowdown.com:
    According to Dave Meltzer of Wrestlingobserver.com, the UFC offered Brandon Vera $200,000 guaranteed per fight, with much more if he wins the title and headlines Pay Per Views.
    Brandon Vera and his camp shot back with a demand of a $1.5 million signing bonus with seven figures guaranteed per fight on a three fight deal, which was the same amount offered by Gary Shaw of Elite XC, as soon as Vera’s contract expires in September. The UFC thought the offer was laughable and turned it down without any thought at all. Gary Shaw did confirm to Meltzer the figures were accurate.
    Well, this fully explains why negotiations with the 29-year-old fight have gone nowhere.
    Although Vera’s UFC career has been impressive — with wins over Fabiano Scherner, Justin Eilers, Assuerio Silva and Frank Mir — he’s done nothing to earn a million-dollar per-fight payday. Vera is essentially asking for salaries given only to the likes of Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz and perhaps Randy Couture.
    And honestly, if Shaw and EliteXC are willing to spend a million bucks per fight for Vera, I can only imagine what they’d be willing to pay for a guy like Liddell. Regardless, if Shaw honestly made that offer, I wouldn’t expect to see EliteXC in operation by the time September rolls around. It just makes no financial sense whatsoever.
    In any manner, Vera has one fight remaining on his current UFC contract. If that fight ever comes to fruition, you’d be safe in assuming it’ll be his last in the UFC.

2. Degenerate

Degenerate Optimus Riem! OT Supporter

what a faggot

3. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

sounds extreme...but this is what fighters should be doing IMO...just like Tito Ortiz was doing before he got signed to TUF3 cast...people complain about the UFC not paying fighters enough...but most of the time it's up to the fighters/managers to demand what they believe they are worth

but yeah his demands are outrageous at this point of MMA history

4. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

No it isnt, that is how this turns into boxing. 200k is more than enough

5. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

well anyways he's going to realize his demands are too high and just go with whatever promotion pays him the most...it's just good that he's forcing them all to compete with each other

6. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

it's one thing to demand more money, but $1mil is a fuckload more money than crocop and rampage get paid per fight combined, and vera does not (and will never) have a large following like them. having Vera on the card isn't gonna sell tickets

tito has a large fanbase and his name and persona sells. what does Vera have to offer that rivals the aforementioned fighters?

7. damiand

damiand Proceed

I agree with both things. Big paydays are great, but there should be a cap on it for sure. So like whoever said, the events can stay profitable, while paying the fighters good money. I think the idea of %PPV buys is fantastic, at least it means you're a draw and you get rewarded for it. Seems fair to me.

Edit: 1 million per fight + PPV buys should be a cap level IMO.

8. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

fedor reportedly got ~$1mil for his fight in vegas

fedor's name sells tickets and PPVs, vera's does not

i hate to say it, but if he were a more explosive fighter and was more of a personality, he'd have that kind of pull

9. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Fuckin primadona. I wish they would throw him to cro cop for his last fight just so he can get KTFO and have NO draw wherever he goes next. So he's got 8 pro mma fights and a few years under his belt and he want's to demand the money guys like chuck and tito get, tell him to come back when he can pull when a crowd like them.

10. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Fedor is also a practically unbeaten and unbeatable machine

11. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Vera is mostly fucked because he is still on UFC contract until September at there is no guarantee that Elite XC will pay him that much then (after he has "cooled off") or if Elite XC will even exist

12. Kuet

Kuet New Member

im down for vera getting ko'd by mirko for his last fight- send that mukufa packing..... i liked him until all this shit came up about him.... plus didnt he pull some shit too with ryan and an interview?? oh , no wait, that was Frank Slam-cock.

13. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Elite XC is going to be in big trouble if they are willing to drop that kind of $$ on a single fighter who is currently very good, but not GREAT nor a HUGE draw... Not to bring up gay a$$ pro wrestling, but it almost reminds me of the old WCW when wraslers were paid way over the top salaries which ultimately led to the demise of the company as business took a down turn...

I think Vera is making a huge mistake burning his bridge with the UFC. $200k per fight MINIMUM is great $$. If he really is as good as he thinks he is, then he could become UFC champion, get big ppv bonuses for headlining main events, and become a MUCH bigger star than he will elsewhere...

14. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

What a bunch of dumb fucks you are. Bitching coz a guy is trying to get more money. It's called negotiation, of course he's gonna try and use the Elite offer to increase his per fight salary in the UFC. Whether Brandon leaves or not who knows, but any good agent will try and get the most money for his fighter. In all reality Brandon's last fight should be for the UFC title, he has earned it and is the #1 contender, but that won't happen because on the chance that he won, it would totally fuck up Zuffa's future plans of Cro-Cop vs Silvia or Couture. As for personally attacking and blaming Brandon that's just dumb, if any of you here were in his position you'd do the same, ooops I forgot the majority of you here haven't ever fought.

(edited for incorrect names)

15. Sylva

Sylva New Member

No, he's a primadona and thinks he bigger than he is. Explain to me why he wants $100 per signed print and chuck, tito, hughes etc are perfectly happy with the $25 the ufc charges for their signed print. IMO Id rather have 4 signed prints of elite fighters than one from an arrogant prick.

16. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

I didnt know that Brandon posted on this board

17. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

I don't know the guy personally so I can't say if he's a primadonna or not, but I am not gonna slag him for trying to cash in as much as possible. If I were in his position I would do the same thing. The reality is that MMA is still in it's infancy as a sport and no one really knows how long the "average" career will last.

18. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

I agree, but I'm not gonna slag him for trying ya know.

19. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

The real problem as I see it is thet the UFC undervalues their talent (except for their "reality show" stars and a few others) and Brandon is just trying to get fair market value. In the UFC he has defeated everyone thrown at him and in an exciting manner, and how does the UFC react? Instead of giving him a title shot, they choose to give it to a fighter whose last fight was a loss and who hasn't fought in over a year or more. Is Couture more recognizable than Vera? Sure but he does not deserve a shot at a title just for coming out of retirement and in a division he hasn't fought in, in what 3 or 4 years at least. IMO the UFC should have really tried to work something out with Vera but it seems to me that they would rather fuck guys who they perceive "disloyal".

20. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

as i mentioned before, i agree that fighters should be paid more, but he's asking FIVE TIMES the amount he was offered when $200k is big money (less sponsorships) in the sport today

the UFC won't (and shouldn't) give him a title shot as his last fight on his contract. if he were to win, then he'd have lots of leverage as far as contract renegotiations. what is likely to happen is that the UFC will negotiate a guaranteed future title shot if he resigns.

as far as you saying that we're personally attacking him, i'm speaking as a fan as well as being realistic from the business perspective. when the biggest draws aren't pulling in half of what vera's demanding, he just comes off like Dr. Evil asking for $1 trillion back in the 1960's

in all honesty, do you think that Vera's name sells tickets, PPVs, or product?

21. Placebo

Placebo New Member

100% with DragOn on this one.

22. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

mind you this is factoring in what sylva said about muscle68's buddy, evan, having asked for him to sign prints for sale at $25 a pop, but demanding $100 each when bigger names didn't bat an eye to evan's request

23. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

very good points

if he's burning bridges now, how reliable is he gonna be for whomever he signs with? and the WFA supposedly had infinitely deep pockets and threw money at their fighters, but where are they now?

24. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

I am putting a period here because I cannot say the above statements any better.

25. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

Everyone seems to be missing my point. I am not defending Vera's actions or the UFC's for that matter. What I am taking issue with is people getting all bitter at him asking for more money. I defininately do no think he is worth the money he is reportedly asking for. I think he could be the next big name given time. I also think he could be stepping on his own dick. Finally while I understand the business reasons for not giving him a title shot on his final fight, the UFC should do something to really try and sign him or let him go. Fuck give him something with a huge incentive or bonus. Like if he knocks out his final opponent out before rd 3 a guaranteed title shot with a ridiculous bonus for winning. Just my thoughts.