MMA UFC History: Mo money, mo problems.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by damiand, Mar 15, 2006.

1. damiand

damiand Proceed

Interesting stuff.

But having said that,

Cant make up my mind, some huge fuck ups that for sure. BUt then again, it does raise some interesting questions, and backs up with evidence in favour of the UFC.

2. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

wow, for the kind of show theyve been putting on lately they are getting paid in chiclets

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

The pay sucks, but they do get sponsored by companies and also just to be competing at that level is a reason to continue. Glory > money.

4. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

hahah nice av

5. phish

phish hockey crew

I'm only watching the UFC for a few fighters.

GSP, Penn, Hughes, Franklin, and Liddell. That's actually more than I thought :mamoru:

I'm becoming more of a fan of the UFC than I was before.

I used to be a Pride nuthugger but now I respect the UFC a lot more.

6. They simply wanted to hold onto a profit while trying to make the UFC a success. It only took them 4 years to gain mainstream acceptance of the UFC.

Dropping the LW division may have been a shitty move for the fans but LW's although they were great they weren't a big draw.

Dropping Tito was a great decision. If they had agreed to his demands other fighters would've started wanting the same kind of money. Nobody in Japan knew who he was. The UFC was his only option so I don't know what he was thinking.

I think the biggest mistakes they made was letting Penn go and not allowing Ken Shamrock to fight for two years while they still had him under contract which meant that he couldn't go anywhere else either. He was still a big draw so I have no idea why they refused to let him fight.

7. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Ouch... The UFC 58 paydays really sucked... I bought the ppv for Bj vs. GSP, and neither fighter even made close to 6 figures... Franklin is also a big drawl yet was paid chump change... No wonder the best fighters seem to always end up in PRIDE...

8. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

:werd: production values are up, ability and quality of fighters is way up. plus they are starting in on this whole real life drama stuff that heightens the experience also.

9. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

i really admire dana white as a businessman...he's done some incredible things over the years

by the way...dont know if any of you read the wall street journal...but i saw a UFC article on the front page today...might wanna check it out

10. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

yeah I like how the production and camera quality has improved greatly. Trying to watch the older fights is hard for me, and I cant stand watching other events like king of the cage, or cage rage. (cant remember which one does it) Where they try to show the fight thru the bars of the cage. WTF! stand on a box and look over the ring like ufc does

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

How much does pride pay? I always hear people talking about how much more pride pays, so I'm curious (at first I figured they must pay 250k per Fedor fight... but seeing the cheap ass UFC figures I'm assuming fedor probably makes 50k a fight).

Also, do they cover medical costs of injuries in the ring?

12. damiand

damiand Proceed

i dont know about fedor, but i have HEARD... dont know if thers articles to confirm, but, Yoshida is highest paid, at nearly 1 million a fight, saku close behind, and Silva usually gets round 400k to fight, + tournament money, which way back in the day,(smashing machine) was already over 200k.

medical stuff, no idea.

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

This just reaffirms my stance on Pride being better.

Edit: Holy SHIT! I just realized that that means Silva (if that 400K thing is true) loses 40K for a yellowcard :eek4: If that's not motivation to fight till your arms fall off I don't know what is.

14. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

That article was shit

http://www.fightopinion.com/2006/03/16/wall-street-journal-on-mma/

thats what I thought about it

15. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

yeah the article sucked...all those buzzwords were funny ridiculous...saying the fingerless gloves allowed for "maximum carnage"...lol