MMA UFC for kids?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by GreatDeceiver, Mar 25, 2008.

1. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

So I'm looking out of my office window at the gym (I work at the main rec center at OSU, sons.) and there's some kind of camp bullshit going on and they're playing california kickball.

So this kid, no older than 8 catches my eye. Upon closer inspection I realize the little dude is wearing a tiny 'UFC 82' shirt, complete with Silva v Hendo pic on the back. It's fitted for him and everything.

At first I was like 'damn this kid is a badass'. Then I started thinking about exposing a kid to the UFC and MMA in general. Is there a good age, or way to go about introducing such a violent sport? I know kids who's parents involve them in football and wrestling early (my brother started wrestling at 8).

But MMA may seem barbaric at a young age I think. Punching and kicking. Elbows, chokes, and blood. It could cause some issues in school and maybe promote an overall violent outlook if not properly explained and understood.

I know some of you guys have kids (that you know of), but any thoughts on this are welcome. Is there a good age or way to get your kid into a sport that you are passionate about? Or do you leave it up to them to discover it on their own at an older age?

2. Exiled

Exiled New Member

It's a martial art

3. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

children arent smart enough to understand that. in their eyes its glamorized fighting.

I would not let my kid watch, but i would let them watch and train in MT. I guess its hypocritical, i just think its easier for them to get it if its just one aspect of the sport.

4. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

:werd:

i wish i could've taken some UFC classes when i was younger

5. Exiled

Exiled New Member

once my time machine gets made im going to go back in time and do that.. im going to teach ufc and pride to people

6. Optamix

Optamix New Member

What the fuck is California kickball and how is it different from what I played?

7. Optamix

Optamix New Member

:rofl::rofl:

8. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I was rolling with a 17 year old last night. I'd love to have started even then, let alone at 8-10 years old.

9. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

Its mixed, it can't be singular.

I'm not letting my kids watch until they're old enough to understand. Shit power rangers comes out and kids are kicking the snot out of each other. Imagine them seeing the real thing.

10. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

you can still roll around with 8-10 year olds

:kdubb:

11. Bausk

Bausk New Member

ban

12. GreatDeceiver

the bases are huge, and there's multiple people per base. And some other shit I cant remember, but it's fun as hell.

13. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

instead of running around bases, you drive in a Prius while smoking weed and cursing the Bush administration

14. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

That sounds like a good time.

15. GreatDeceiver

Yeah part of me wants to expose my bro to MMA soon because of how much of a little beast he is at wrestling, but I feel like he wouldn't quite grasp how what he does now relates to two guys brawling in a cage. It would probably seem more like 'anything goes' with moments of wrestling to him.

I think checkii is on to something with his post about learning various arts but staying away from the UFC for a while. In training the coaches push fighting as an art, a sport and the kid could learn to use it as such. While just watching a fight may send the wrong message.