MMA UFC files lawsuit against Couture

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by SCirone, Jan 15, 2008.

1. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

UFC Sues Heavyweight Champ Randy Couture

Posted by MMA Junkie on January 15, 2008 at 9:42 am ET
    [​IMG]

Zuffa LLC, the UFC’s parent company, filed a lawsuit on Monday against heavyweight champion Randy Couture in the Clark County District Court stemming from the fighter’s public statements about the organization and his new involvement with the competing International Fight League.
    News of the lawsuit was reported in today’s edition of The Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Couture, who came out of retirement to defeat Tim Sylvia for the UFC’s heavyweight title in March 2007, resigned from the organization this past October citing a number of complaints, including a lack of respect from UFC officials, issues over his pay (including a promised signing bonus he claimed the UFC never paid him), and the UFC’s inability to sign then-top free agent Fedor Emelianenko.

The lawsuit seeks both compensatory and punitive damages due to Couture’s recent comments, and the UFC is also seeking an injunction to halt Couture’s involvement with the IFL. Earlier this month, the IFL announced that the organization would drop city-affiliated teams and would instead draw its fighters from already-established fight camps. The Xtreme Couture gym is one of four set to compete at the IFL’s season opener on Feb. 29.

According to today’s story at www.lvjr.com, Couture may not be the only in the UFC’s crosshairs:
    Monday’s lawsuit claims Couture’s negative statements about the company constituted “injurious falsehood and trade disparagement” that has led to significant financial losses for the UFC.​

The lawsuit also alleges conspiracy, stating that several unnamed parties to be identified at a later date worked with Couture to intentionally inflict harm on the UFC.​
    UFC President Dana White was quoted as saying that Couture wasn’t fulfilling the obligations set forth in his contract and that “Captain America is not keeping his word.“

The full story can be found at www.lvjr.com.

2. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

3. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

This is just more of a way for the UFC to keep him from IFL and Fedor for the time being. Them saying that he hurt the UFC with his words is pretty much damn near impossible to prove and unless they can 100% prove that he was meeting with other people then the conspiracy charges will be hard to make stick.

The way the UFC worded it, UFC fighters cannot even have indirect contact with a competing promotion. Mean that someone from Extreme Couture technically fight for the IFL or Elite or the UFC fighter is held liable

4. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

How is the UFC going to pull a million dollar lawsuit out of this.Aslong as Couture doesnt fight for another org, all they can try to get him for is the slander (which rarely pans out) and the conspiracy (which unless they can 100% prove he met with other people to plan against the UFC will be thrown out)

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

troof.

I think it's Dana's contempt for anyone that even associates with the IFL that took this from squabbling friends to dirty lawsuit.

and this new IFL setup sounds awesome. I think this will go over much better, i almost want to buy in now.

6. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

which is exactly what drag said, he doesn't get to fight anymore

7. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah I also get the feeling that if randy had been more delicate with this he wouldn't be in this situation

8. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Randy is fairly beloved by the fans. If anything, this might bring about a lot of bad press for the UFC... I guess they will do anything though to keep him from helping another organization in any way, shape, or form...

9. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

fuck this shit he could have gotten one fight out of the way by now. and he would have been three fights away from freedom but this whole thing might actually make it so it will be longer then if he would have fullfilled his contract.

10. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

I agree with Drag...all he really had to do was fight one more time and then he'll be free to fight Fedor when the opportunity presents itself.

11. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

why would you fight if you felt you were still owed heap loads of money that had yet to be paid to you?

12. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I just straight up don't agree with Randy on this, I think hes wrong.

I see how frustrating it is that he can't fight Fedor, but he did sign the contract.

:dunno:

13. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

and if he is being honest about them not paying him?

i dont agree or disagree, no one knows whats really going on. But he did state he is doing this for all of the other fighters current and future so that they don't get as mistreated as he had been.

So regardless of it costing him $$$, or him missing out on $$$, i think he is fine with it.

14. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Dana showed copies of cashed checks that Randy said he didn't get :dunno:

15. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

fuck him, he probably just didn't want to fight nog so he ducked out and figured he could blame the ufc. ya got a contract, even if you think it's shitty you still gotta fullfil the contract. i hope he loses his ass and dana ends up driving his hummer :)

16. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

eh, i didnt know. i really didnt care enough to follow it.

whats randy's deal then? Something doesnt make sense

17. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Thats what I'm confused about too, I feel like I'm missing something but I've been following it pretty close.

You can't just say "You're not paying me enough" when you're getting whats on your contract. :dunno:

18. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

and he did the whole speech on how he and other fighters are being screwed, etc etc.

then he disclosed other fighter's figures which i thought was pretty tacky :dunno:

19. roose

roose Guest

Randy beat an 'injured' Tim Sylvia and Gabriel Gonzaga who is top ten only because he KO'd Crocop.

I believe Randy knows he'll lose a match-up against Nog and a rematch against Sylvia. He pulled that stunt to try and get the Fedor fight, which he also knows he'll lose, which would allow him the biggest single payday.

He pulled the UFC stunt to make things better for future fighters, cheifly his Xtreme Couture fighters. Now he's stuck in a legal pissing match.

That's my version of things. :cool:

20. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I think randy beats nog.

Jacare couldn't sub randy in a pure BJJ match, Nog isn't going to in a MMA fight. Randy wins the decision.

21. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Im siding with UFC on this one. Randy is doing very well for himself and is just being greedy. There are still plenty of appealing fights in the UFC awaiting him and he's just being a cry baby about the money he feels he is worth.

22. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

time to buy some IFL stock.

23. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

same thing i was thinking.

24. SubOptimal

SubOptimal New Member

I've always thought that all of the Dana/UFC hate was uncalled for, but damn things like this make me think it's justified. :hs:

25. Optamix

Optamix New Member

taken from Sherdog, a well written and informed look into the contract dispute.