MMA UFC 78 Outcomes ****Spoilers for those who don't know****

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Nomad, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

[Evans beat Bisping via Split Decision

Silva beat Alexander via TKO

Parisyan beat Chonnan via Unanimous Decision

Herman KO'd Doerkson in the 3rd

Edgar beat Fisher via Unanimous Decision]

overall it wasn't that bad of a card imo, but it really didn't live up to the hype :hs:

2. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Akihiro Gono (Pictures) vs. Tamden McCrory
    Round 1
    McCrory roughed up Gono's body with knees from the clinch throughout the first three minutes and 45 seconds of the opening frame. Gono landed the occasional low kick but couldn't put much together on his feet. At the end of the round, Gono was able to secure a takedown and side-control, but the PRIDE veteran couldn't do any damage from the position. 10-9 for McCrory.

Round 2
    The second starts much like the opening round, with McCrory winning the standup battle. Gono then landed a crushing left hook, which sent McCrory to the canvas. Gono fought off an armbar attempt and took the mount, where he was able to secure an armbar of his own to force a tap at 3:19 of the second stanza.

Luke Caudillo vs. Marcus Aurelio
    Round 1
    Aurelio and Caudillo traded punches in the first minute, with nothing landing solidly until Caudillo landed a hard right hand. Aurelio then snapped Caudillo's head back with a stiff jab. Aurelio then shot twice with no success, but was able to trip Caudillo to the canvas on his third try. From the dominant position, the American Top Team lightweight trapped an arm from Caudillo in side-control, where he proceeded to punch the head until the referee stepped in to save him at 4:29 of the first.

Jason Reinhardt (Pictures) vs. Joe Lauzon (Pictures)
    Round 1
    Reinhardt started with wild winging punches, which Lauzon slipped with ease. Lauzon then took Reinhardt to the floor with a well executed body-lock takedown. Lauzon quickly moved to side-control and north-south, where he punished Reinhadt with punches to the head. Reinhardt gave his back to avoid punishment. Lauzon, not wasting any time, quickly applied a fight ending rear-naked choke at 1:14 of the opening period.

Chris Lytle (Pictures) vs. Thiago Alves (Pictures)
    Round 1
    Good action in the opening five minutes. Lytle came out strong with his boxing, landing a few hard shots. Alves answered and scored a right hook flash knockdown of Lytle, who started to bleed above his left eye. Lytle then caught a Alvez kick and returned the favor with a strong knockdown of his own. Lytle finished the round strong with his hands and took the first on the Sherdog.com scorecard 10-9.

Round 2
    Thaigo ripped into Lytle's left leg with snapping low kicks throughout the second round, which caused the Hoosier to favor his leg severely. Lytle got a little offense going later in the frame with a front kick that knocked Alves off balance, but most of the round saw crushing low kicks echo through the arena from the Brazilian. Alves took round two, 10-9.

Before the third stanza was to begin, the bout was called due to the cut opened up in the first round above Lytle's left eye. The crowd was not pleased, but cheered Alves as his hand was raised.

Upon review of the replay, it appeared that Lytle had two cuts above the eye.

Frank Edgar (Pictures) vs. Spencer Fisher (Pictures)

Round 1
    Straight right hand landed for Edgar early in the round. Edgar scored three takedowns on Fisher and landed elbows throughout the opening five minutes. Fisher was unable to mount any offense, but showed that he will be hard to hold down as he used the cage to get off his back twice. 10-9 for Edgar.

Round 2
    A quick tackle by Edgar started the second period. Fisher didn't waste much time getting back to his feet, but he was muscled straight back down to the canvas. The pace slowed as Edgar controlled Fisher from the top, punching primarily with his right hand. Fisher briefly switched from a closed-guard to a butterfly-guard, where he landed an elbow to the head of Edgar. Frank Edgar then took Fisher's back off a scramble, but was unable to secure ay dominant position. 10-9 for Edgar.

Round 3
    Edgar caught a Fisher kick and ripped him to the mat in the final period's opening seconds. Again Edgar took Fisher's back but he could do nothing with the position. As witnessed throughout the contest, Fisher could not stop the takedown and save for a brief triangle attempt, had nothing from his back. 30-27 for Frank Edgar. All of the judges agree, scoring it three rounds to nil for Edgar (30-27, 30-27 and 30-26).

Joe Doerksen (Pictures) vs. Ed Herman (Pictures)
    Round 1
    Doerksen roughed up Herman with an overhand left and right early in the first. Herman took Doerksen down but was unable to hold him there. Herman then connected with a leaping standing elbow, which he followed with a knee to the chin. After another takedown, Herman took the mount and landed a few strikes. Sporting a mouse and a cut on his left eye, Doerksen was punished against the cage for the rest of the round. 10-9 for Herman.

Round 2
    A body-lock takedown starts the second round for Herman. Doerksen escaped and took Herman's back with both hooks on the heels of a scramble. Herman rolled out but was caught in a kneebar. Herman then escaped and appeared to be back in control, but Doerksen slapped on a sure to be fight-ending triangle-choke/armbar in the final 10 seconds of the round. Herman, clearly rattled, was saved by the bell. 10-9 Doerksen.

Round 3
    A hard Herman counter left hook ends the fight early in the third round. Herman connected with a right hook and ducked a Doerksen punch before connecting with the finishing blow at 0:39 of the third.

Ryo Chonan (Pictures) vs. Karo Parisyan (Pictures)
    Round 1
    Karo knocked Chonan down with a sharp left hook and took the top position in the opening minute of the first frame. Referee Kevin Mulhall was not impressed with the pace, so he restarted the action to standing. A double-leg takedown from Karo followed. Chonan escaped to his feet but could not mount any offense. 10-9 for Parisyan.

Round 2
    Karo continued to dominate with takedowns through the uneventful second round. Karo caught another low kick with about 90 seconds remaining, and landed his best shots of the fight from the top in half-guard. 10-9 for Parisyan.

Round 3
    A Parisyan takedown is followed by short range elbows from a tightly-positioned half-guard. Parisyan took the mount but was promptly reversed by Chonan. With the crowd growing as quiet as a church mouse, the fighters traded sloppy, glancing punches for the duration of the bout. At the bell, the arena booed the clearly disappointed athletes. 30-27 for Parisyan. All judges agree -- 30-27 across the board.

Thiago Silva (Pictures) vs. Houston Alexander (Pictures)
    Round 1
    Alexander walked patiently forward and clinched with Silva before taking the fight to the ground. Silva reversed the position with a single-leg and took the mount, where he landed some heavy shots. More shots rain down on Houston. Silva pounds away until Alexander is knocked out. The referee pulled the Brazilian off at 3:25 of the first.

Michael Bisping (Pictures) vs. Rashad Evans (Pictures)

Round 1
    Evans hit Bisping with a right hand and muscled him to the canvas with a double-leg. Bisping to his feet and ate another Rashad right hand before being taken back down. A game Bisping escaped side-control and got back to his feet. Round one ends after another Evans takedown and a few elbows. 10-9 for Rashad Evans.

Round 2
    Evans connected with a right hand before slamming Bisping to the floor. The referee pleaded for action before separating the fighters. Bisping stood in the pocket and delivered some stiff jabs. Rashad answered with two right hands. A hard knee from Bisping cracked Rashad's midsection. A straight right counter lands for Evans just before Bisping scored a takedown of his own. Very close round but Sherdog.om gives it to Bisping, 10-9.

Round 3
    A fatigued Evans let go with his hands early in the third but hit nothing but air. Evans struggled for a takedown and was reversed by Bisping. Evans stood up and tasted a jab from Bisping. Two right hands connect for Evans and a double-leg takedown. Bisping was warned for holding the fence just seconds before making it back to his feet. A knee to the body lands for Bisping. Another takedown from Evans ends a lackluster UFC card. 10-9 for Evans. The judges render a split-decision. 29-28 Evans, 29-28 Bisping and 29-28 for Evans.

3. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

way to show me up asshole....

4. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

That card had a ton of promise and fell flat on its face. I think Silva KOing Alexander was the highlight.
    Doerkson's triable/armbar was nasty.
    Herman getting a KO was random. They both looked like dog shit on their feet.
    Chonan looked better in loss than Karo did in victory. Chonan just had no answer for karo laying on him. And he ate some huge shots from karo.
    Bisping and Rashad both looked like shit, saw that coming a mile away.
    Fisher's takedown D was fucking pathetic, looked like he's been training with Heath Herring.

Sadly, from what i remember, herman doerkson was fight of the night (IMO) :ugh:

5. Rob H

Rob H New Member

i just wish doekrson sunk that triangle about 10 seconds earlier in the 2nd round :(

6. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

damn thats a pretty big surprise on Houston's loss

7. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

people who fight like him, always get exposed, but the problem is exposing him before he puts you to sleep!!!

8. turdburglar

turdburglar chicken curry with naan

would love to see the aurelio and gono fights?
    can anybody link / upload?

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i'll second this.

and to add, these 2 fuckers have had a couple boring fights in a row, and the UFC is just gonna keep ramming these spike tv fags down our throats

Ultimate Fighter = American idol

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  10. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

I'm glad I didn't buy this one :o Sucks for HA. I wanted him to win.

11. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Why is everyone surprised that someone with /NO/ ground game got beat by someone with a BJJ in bjj?

12. Toodles

Toodles You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the w OT Supporter

Father of 6, donated one of his kidneys to his sick daughter, fighting and training with only one kidney = :bowdown:

hope he doesnt get too discouraged from this fight and comes back as a stronger and wiser fighter :coold:

13. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

14. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  15. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

thank god houston a lost, now maybe we won't have to hear about how he's a miracle saint bionic superhuman 1/2 alien 1/2 superhero 1/2 fighting god every 2 seconds.

oh he has kids (not the only father in MMA)
    oh he gave his kid a kidney (who wouldn't give their own kid a kidney if they needed it)
    oh he was a blue collar worker (how many rich ceo's are fighting in ufc)
    oh my god

i'm sure he's a decent person and all and that's great, but jesus christ he's not a saint why is every post about him gotta be about how he has 6 kids and 1 kidney, it's mma, it's the cage, shouldn't the posts be about his lack of ground game instead of how many times his sperm found an egg?

with the bandwagon nature of sports all that is probably done for good lol.

*i don't have anything against the guy, i just can't stand all the bullshit hype about his kids and kidney all the time

16. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

:werd:

not sure what a bjj in bjj gets you, but Rogan hit the nail on the head that this s the perfect fight to see if Alexander is legit or not. I knew it was a matter of time till he got exposed, didn't think it would be this fight, or that fast.

17. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Rickson has a bjj in a bjj in a bjj in bjj. That's bjj to the power of 4, fuckers.

I picked Edgar by decision, knowing his wrestling would be too much, but I still expected a war and was really really dissapointed in Fisher.

Would have loved for Doerksen to get that sub. I hate people being saved by the bell from deep subs. Someone getting pounded and saved by the bell is still going to start the next round on wobbly legs. A guy who was stuck in a sub is probably going to answer the bell slightly fresher than the guy who was applying the sub :-/

18. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

:werd:

it was nice to hear Rogan pushing for the Pride scoring a bit. He has trashed the boxing 10 point system, but it was good to hear him say that Doerkson should definitely get that round for coming the closest to finishing.

19. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

this should have been a UFN card

20. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

I have a little bit of a problem giving him the round for coming close to finishing at the end.
    Its not like he locked in the submission and then randomly someone ran in and yelled TIMEOUT and stopped the fight.
    Its just like a puncher trying to TKO someone. If you want the win, you have to do it in the round time period.

If one guy picks someone apart for the entire round on their fight, just trashing them, and then at the end there's a flurry of punches from the guy who was getting trashed, it might make the round closer, but the guy who dominated for the majority of the round is going to get the points.
    I think it should be the same with a sub.

21. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

Wow I had a friend fly into town that isnt really into MMA so I didnt order it. I guess I didnt mish much.

22. friedrice

friedrice New Member

Houston looked like poo. He did not have is angry black man fire, not aggressive at all, and just layed there getting a beating on the bottom. Very disappointed for sure.

23. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

it sucked.. honestly with the pride takeover this is the best you can do for your return to the north east? great job in making sure serra/hughes/st.pierre dont fight for months either.. sure could've used arlovski on that card as well..

i only ordered because i really thought most of the fights would be competitive and exciting.. rashad is the new human blanket

24. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah that card was extremely disappointing.

We need to start a grassroots campaign AGAINST TUF fighters on PPV cards.

how in the fuck was that a headline fight?

25. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

i fully convinced that Alexander got KO'd, i think Herman's KO was :bowdown: