MMA UFC 77: Are Brandon Vera and Tim Sylvia Fighting for a Title Shot?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Guz200sx, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

UFC 77: Are Brandon Vera and Tim Sylvia Fighting for a Title Shot?

Posted by MMA Junkie on October 9, 2007 at 11:26 am ET

After a nearly one-year absence from competition, undefeated UFC heavyweight Brandon Vera (8-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) will return to the octagon next weekend at UFC 77 to take on former champ Tim Sylvia (23-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC). If victorious, the charismatic Californian may ask UFC officials for a title shot.

The Houston Chronicle‘s Steve Sievert recently spoke to Vera about the possibility.

“Vera says if he wins in emphatic fashion, he’ll ask for an immediate title shot,” Sievert reported.

However, given the current state of the UFC’s heavyweight division, Vera may not even need to ask for the title shot in order to get it.

Prior to his issues with former manager Mark Dion, Vera was slated to face then-champ Sylvia at UFC 68 in March. However, the fighter had only one fight remaining on his current deal, and the UFC refused to book a new one until a new contract was in place. Vera claims Dion lied about what the UFC was offering — and was even shopping for a contract with other organizations without his approval.

UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, who came out of retirement, got the title shot instead and defeated Sylvia via unanimous decision.

Vera ended the relationship with Dion soon after, and when the UFC needed a marquee match to complement next weekend’s UFC 77 main event between middleweight champ Anderson Silva and Rich Franklin, he got the call to fight Sylvia.

If Vera wins — and if he does it in convincing fashion — the request for a title shot may come.

But will it be granted? Actually, it appears likely.

Current champ Couture will likely return to action Feb. 2 for a SuperBowl weekend card in Las Vegas. There’s been speculation that he would face Fedor Emelianenko, but the PRIDE heavyweight champion seems to be in no hurry to sign with the UFC. And, as of now, no Plan B has been mentioned.

Additionally, a bout between top contenders Cheick Kongo and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has been pushed back until early 2008, so the fight’s winner wouldn’t be ready for Couture in February.

As for other possible opponents, a rematch with Gabriel Gonzaga seems unlikely, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic has lost two in a row (and reportedly isn’t returning phone calls from the UFC), Andrei Arlovski still hasn’t gotten a new deal (and would probably need a tune-up fight anyway), and Fabricio Werdum seems to have fallen off the face of the earth since a lackluster loss to Arlovski in April.

In other words, if Vera is victorious next weekend, he very well could get a title shot (in fact, the same goes for Sylvia) — without even having to ask for it.

2. Guz200sx

That would be sweet if vera wins....Vera v Couture for the Heavyweight title!!

Kinda bad ass IMO

3. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah id like to see that but i want to see the fedor match just as much

4. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

Let's hope andrie gets his shit together and fights early enough to maybe get that title shot! damn

5. Guz200sx

In both situations, If they haven't happened by now then they prolly won't happen.

The Pitbull would have to have a warm-up fight either this month or next month and prolly won't happen.

6. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

i would like to see that, but we all know that Sylvia is going to kick Vera's ass by showing off his dynamic display of both standup and ground work, Sylvia is an extremely well rounded fighter and only lost the title due to a back problem he developed right before his fight with Couture.

:mamoru:

7. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Sylvia has a very strong chance in this fight. I'm not even sure if Vera would be installed favourite for this one by the bookies?

I hope Vera wins this. Cool dude. When I approached him at the UFC in London, he actually made me sit down next to him and actually chat to him. He even mentioned the rugby +D

8. Guz200sx

Sylvia's got a weak chin. He got knocked down twice by AA and once by Couture. Thats all Vera needs...an opening like that and then put him away.

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

god i love the logic people use to categorize someone with a week chin :rofl:

I don't see Vera Knocking him out. Thats quite a ways up there to throw a HK, a little too big and strong to want to clinch with. And Vera's hands arent the best.

Vera has sick sub transfers, and thats the only way i see him ending the fight.

regardless i would rather see AA vs Couture, even though I like Vera more.

10. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Weak chin?

The shot AA landed on Sylvia was one of the most amazing I've seen. Sylvia fucking JUMPED UP from that shot and proceeded to knock Andrei out. Sylvia's got a great chin.

11. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

winner of Sylvia Vera faces winner of Nog Kongo for the belt

12. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i think this is awesome in a sad 'no Fedor' sort of way.

but i think any way that ends up would be a good match up.

13. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

leg kicks, body kicks, shoot for takedown, GnP, sub. sounds like PROFIT for vera to me.

14. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

why are people putting kongo above arlovski

15. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Skill and rank wise he shouldnt be, but its hard to argue who should be in line for the title shot. I see AA giving nog a lot more problems and completing the 4 way run for title better, but if we ended up with Timbo AA 4 I just might snap.

16. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

if aa handily beat nog, i think that would give him the momentum and confidence to get back to being more aggressive and handing an asskicking to sylvia.

and also, just imagine how bad a sylvia-kongo match would be.

17. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Timmy by Imes-o-plata