MMA UFC 73: STACKED is official

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, May 6, 2007.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

The World is Ready for the UFC - UFC 73 on July 7th

Las Vegas, NV (USA) – Tired of paying your hard-earned cash for events packed with hype and little else? Sick of sitting down
    for a pay-per-view event and finding out that you’re paying over $50 for just three fights that include a showcase and a mismatch? The Ultimate Fighting Championship® has the cure for what is ailing fight fans, and in a continuing effort to provide what the world is truly waiting for, it is announcing yet another UFC card stacked with at least five fights that include two intense championship bouts and a heated grudge match between two light heavyweight rivals. UFC 73: STACKED features UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson “The Spider” Silva in his first title defense vs. Nate “The Great” Marquardt. UFC Lightweight Champion Sean “The Muscle Shark” Sherk puts his newly-won belt on the line vs. Brazil’s Hermes Franca. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira steps into the Octagon™ for the first time for a heavyweight war with Heath Herring – and Tito Ortiz intends to put a painful end to Rashad Evans’ perfect 15-0 record. Let the fireworks begin. UFC 73, loaded with UFC superstars, takes place LIVE from ARCO Arena in Sacramento, Calif. Saturday, July 7, 2007.

“We have five UFC events lined up now through July in the US and UK, and every one of them is stacked with great fights,” said UFC President Dana White. “No matter where we have a UFC, our goal is always the same – to deliver the best fights between the best mixed martial arts fighters. Our fans know they will always see a good fight, and that’s why the UFC reigns supreme in live sports today.”

White continues, “UFC 73 is one of the best cards we’ve put together this year. It’s going to deliver the one-two punch fight fans want – it has Tito Ortiz and Rashad Evans, two all-state college wrestlers, both who dislike each other, settling their differences in the Octagon, as well as title defenses by our two champions Anderson Silva and Sean Sherk. We’re working on more fights right now to pack this card even heavier from top to bottom.”

About his upcoming fight versus Rashad Evans, “Huntington Beach Bad Boy” Tito Ortiz stated, “Everybody should expect fireworks. Rashad is standing in the way of my getting another title shot, and my prediction is that he won’t be able to handle my tempo or the 18,000 Tito Ortiz fans that are in Sacramento to see me win. My prediction is that fans will definitely get their money’s worth.”

Evans countered, “Tito needs to learn the meaning of respect. On July 7, I’m going to teach him what that’s all about. Let him come down from the mountain to Greg Jackson’s training camp and he’ll see what he’s up against. I’m focused and on a mission, and my goal is to knock him out.”

Tickets for UFC 73: STACKED go on sale Saturday, May 12 at 2pm PDT with prices $550, $350, $250, $150 and $50. The fastest and most convenient way to purchase tickets is by visiting the Ticketmaster Web site at Ticketmaster.com. Tickets may be purchased by calling Ticketmaster Charge-By-Phone at (916) 649-TIXS, (530) 528-TIXS and (209) 551-TIXS. Tickets are also available at the ARCO Arena Box Office, which is open Monday thru Saturday from 10am to 6pm and at all Sacramento-area Ticketmaster locations and at www.ufc.com.

UFC® Fight Club™ members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets to this event Tuesday, May 8 starting at 10:00am PT via the website www.ufc.com. A special Internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers Thursday, May 10 starting at 10:00am PT. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through www.ufc.com.

UFC 73: STACKED is available live on pay-per-view at 10:00pm. ET/7 p.m. PT on iN DEMAND, DIRECTV, DISH Network, TVN, Bell ExpressVu, Shaw Communications and Viewer’s Choice Canada for a suggested retail price of $39.95 ($39.99 CAD).

The last UFC event held at ARCO Arena took place Nov. 18, 2006 to a sellout crowd of more than 15,300 with a gate of $2.7 million. This event promises to be another sell-out with the layers of spectacular matchups planned, including the featured main event Anderson Silva vs. Nathan Marquardt.

Silva (18-4), fighting out of Curitiba, Brazil, defeated Rich Franklin by first round TKO at UFC 64 to become the new UFC Middleweight Champion. He is an extremely well-rounded fighter with phenomenal striking skills. He took on Travis Lutter in what was supposed to be his first title defense, but Lutter fell short of making weight by a half-pound. As a result their fight was altered to a three-round non-championship bout, but Silva still finished Lutter by submission at 2:11 of the second round. “The Spider” is looking forward to fighting Marquardt and nabbing his first successful title defense in the UFC. Wyoming-native Nathan Marquardt has yet to disappoint in mixed martial arts competition, as he has put together an impressive resume that includes 28 wins, a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and recognition as a seven-time King of Pancrase. In the UFC, Marquardt’s success has continued, with wins over Ivan Salaverry, Joe Doerksen, Crafton Wallace and Dean Lister. Marquardt has earned this shot at UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, and plans to take out the Brazilian champion and take home his middleweight crown.

In a second championship bout, UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk will take on Hermes Franca in his first title defense since defeating Kenny Florian in October of last year.

Sean Sherk (35-2-1), fighting out of Oak Grove, Minn., holds an incredible record, with only two losses. The first came to Matt Hughes for the UFC World Welterweight title. Sherk went on to win 12 straight fights before losing by TKO in the second round to Georges St-Pierre. Sherk is an excellent wrestler and is one of the pound-for-pound strongest competitors in the sport. He defeated Kenny Florian in a battle for the vacant UFC lightweight title last October at UFC 64 to become champion in the newly restored weight division. Hermes Franca (18-5) has won his last eight fights – all by knockout or submission. Included in this amazing streak are UFC wins over Joe Jordan, Jamie Varner, and most recently a TKO over Spencer Fisher. This 32-year old ground ace from Fortaleza, Brazil wants to win the lightweight crown by finishing the fight Hermes-style.

One of mixed martial arts' premier heavyweights, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil's Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira (29-4-1) returns to fight in the United States for the first time since 2000 and will make his UFC debut against one of his toughest foes in Heath Herring. A premier ground fighter with a Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Nogueira is known for his varied offensive attack and his habit of never being in a boring fight. The former PRIDE heavyweight champion, Nogueira holds wins over a Who's Who of the sport, including Herring, Mirko “Cro Cop”, Dan Henderson, Ricco Rodriguez, Josh Barnett, Mark Coleman, and Fabricio Werdum. On July 7th, fight fans will be in for a treat when Nogueira enters the Octagon to face “The Texas Crazy Horse.” Herring, the 6’4” 250-pounder who hails from the Lone Star State, is a perennial heavyweight contender and a tough out for anyone in the game. He is coming off a unanimous decision over 6 foot 7 giant Brad Imes at UFC 69, and is looking to ascend further up the UFC ranks with a payback win over “Minotauro”
    at UFC 73.

2. miek

miek New Member

Looks good, I'm really interested in watching Nogueira the most :eek5:

3. Degenerate

Degenerate Optimus Riem! OT Supporter

Awesome :coold:

4. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

looks like a card i'd watch,

but i won't be in the states and the country i'll be in doesn't get UFC PPV.....

but i'll download it off demonoid the next day :mamoru:

5. miek

miek New Member

:bowrofl: to av

6. Kuet

Kuet New Member

this card is STACKED !!!!!

7. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

And now Crocop is trying to get on it

8. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Hope tito gets ktfo.

9. JustGod

JustGod New Member

Good name for it.

10. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

that would be a huge card if mirko got on it. i guess his knee really is ok, sure didnt look like it :o

11. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

goddamn it, that card is tits!
    fuck, i might consider going down there to watch.

12. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

it better be stacked b/c 72 is shit

13. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Horray for Sherk mauling head ducking wild swinging Franca.

14. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

Cant wait. I love watching Silva fight.

15. Teh Awesome!

Teh Awesome! Guest

Nogueira LOL, he needs to move on and go onto to modeling or something.

16. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Have you ever made a serious post? Ever?

17. miek

miek New Member

:rofl::rofl: catchersmitface.jpg

18. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

I don't know how he keeps coming up with fresh new material?

19. Kuet

Kuet New Member

crocop isnt fighting for six months i thought?? nevada state rules after being ko'd (???) even though the fight didnt happen in L.V.

20. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

I just got the tickets for this fight, somehow scored row B tickets which is a great seat. After seeing the card I knew it was worth the flight from FL-CA but with Mirko trying to get on the car it's even better.

21. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Its only a 50 minute drive up there, I should look into grabbing some tix.

22. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yay for me another ufc im dieing to see.

23. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

I think 73 on should all be really good. They finally have enough talent in each division to keep churning out solid fights.

24. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Wow. That does look like a GREAT card...