Ubuntu-Windows network: The whole drive is shared, nothing appears in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Synner, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Synner

Synner New Member

Ubuntu-Windows network: The whole drive is shared, nothing appears in Ubuntu *EDIT*

My girlfriend has her whole hard drive shared so I can get on the network and copy all her music and pictures (backups for when the hard drive goes, give it 2 weeks). The firewall's disabled, my laptop (Ubuntu) sees the machine in the network folder, but nothing shows up when I open it. Does anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Other than being completely new to linux, and to networking, and trying to do stuff like this, that is. And yes, I know disabling the firewall is generally a bad idea, but there's nothing important on there, and if something goes wrong with her computer, hell, it was free anyway. She just wants to make sure she keeps all her music and pictures, and her cd burner went tits up about a week ago.

EDIT: She put a password on the account, I still couldn't log in. I realized I'd never added a network user. I added a network user with the same name/password as the account she made. I SHOULD be ok now, right?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

did you give permission on the share to everyone?

3. Synner

Synner New Member

On the windows machine? it's set up to share the entire drive, that's all I really know. I'm really new to networking, Linux, samba....the whole list. I have like no experience whatsoever with this. The only thing that could possibly help me is reading somewhere that nautilus doesn't show entire drives, so that's my only real concern, finding some other way to see them.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I am guessing that nothing is showing up because Nautilas is using the guest account on the Windows machine.

Go the command line in linux and do the following as root:

mkdir /mnt/girlfriend
    mount -t smbfs -o username=Administrator //gf.laptop.ip.here/c$ /mnt/girlfriend

It will then ask you for the Admin password on the windows machine, enter it and the whole C drive will be shown under /mnt/girlfriend

One thing that always seems to make file sharing easier under Windows is to open My Computer, then go "Tools" -> "Folder Options" -> "View" tab -> Under "Advanced Settings" scroll all the way down to "Use Simple File Sharing" and uncheck it.

5. Synner

Synner New Member

Thanks, I'll go try that! One thing though, she made an admin account for me last night with no password (quick simple setup, not intelligent setup. Right before bed, so she was hurrying through everything). So with the mount command, using the name for the account she made last night, it shouldn't ask for a password, right?

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

it will still ASK for a password, but just hit enter when it asks. Also, his smbmount example is a very good one, but if she shared the drive as share name "C" then you won't need the dollar sign after the computer name. So you may want to try:

mount -t smbfs -o username=Administrator //gf.laptop.ip.here/c /mnt/girlfriend

if Rob's example doesn't work right out of the box.

7. Synner

Synner New Member

OK, I tried both, neither work. She swears that there's no password on the account, but after trying a few variables, nothing will connect.

username:Synner, no password, c$ - Access Denied.
    username:synner, no password, c$ - share doesn't exist.
    Synner, no pass, c - access denied
    synner, no pass, c - doesn't exist

So apparently I need it for something, but there's something blocking it. The mount location is created, anybody have any ideas?

8. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Have her put a password on it.

9. Synner

Synner New Member

You're kidding me. I swear, if it's this simple, I'm going to backup everything worth keeping, and I'm gonna smash her computer with a bat.

10. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I think the windows Admininstrator accuont requires a password in order to mount things remotely (and access RDP for that matter)

So yes, it might be that simple. :mamoru:

11. Synner

Synner New Member

I'm not on THE administrator account, I'm on an account she made last night with admin permissions. Which, guess what, won't log in. Not even by going to smb://her.ip.blah.blah/c$

12. Synner

Synner New Member

Why does it have to be such a hassle to see the contents of a computer on the same freakin' network.....I swear, when this is done, I'm throwing a fuckin' kegger.

13. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Does that account have a password?

14. Synner

Synner New Member

Nope. And if I hit enter to skip the password prompt in terminal, or if I leave the password box blank for the file browser, access is denied.

15. Synner

Synner New Member

One thing I can do, if I go through firefox (smb://***.***.*.**/c$), it loads a directory index page, but it's completely empty.

16. Synner

Synner New Member

It seems I have 2 options now. Use the -n option so it doesn't bring up the password prompt (which will probably send me spiraling into an instant "access denied" bitchslap), or have her set up the guest account so I don't need login credentials. Assuming the latter, mounting it should go something along the lines of

mount -t smbfs -o guest //gf.laptop.ip.here/c /mnt/girlfriend

right?

17. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Create a password :uh:

18. Synner

Synner New Member

or that. But that's among the easy ways to do things, and that's no fun....wait, I've been looking for a fuckin' easy way all day. Password it is!