Ubuntu Questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coottie, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I'm d/l Ubuntu but I noticed that there are 2 different distros, Desktop and Server. The server says it will not install a gui. So, since I want to run Apache, PHP, MySql, Java and other server stuff, should I just install the server or the desktop?? I like guis.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You can install the server and THEN install the GUI, or install the desktop and then install MySQL5, Apache2, etc.

3. Hartman

Hartman New Member

ubuntu won't support my wireless ethernet :wtc:

4. Coottie

Cool..thanks Peyomp

5. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Does it actually have a Linux driver?

What card is it?

6. Coottie

OMG Ubuntu = :greddy:

Didn't recognize my vid card (Nvidia GeForce 3) didn't recognize some of my motherboard (PCI bus) and never prompted for a root password when installing. WTF?? Oh and the MB is not that obscure either...MSI with VIA chipst running an AMD Athalon CPU.

7. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

For the root pass bit, see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

What do you mean it didn't recognize your video card? I would hope it works outta the box with GeForce 3s :/

8. Coottie

Well I dunno how else to say it. I just didn't recognize my video card.

I did the desktop install and when the gui came up it was at 640 X 480 (basic VGA) resolution. I tried to change it, using the gui tools and this was the only available option for the resolution. I looked in the device listing and it didn't even have a listing for my video card.

I then thought to try the server installation to see how that was and it installed easy enough. However when it was booting I saw a line saying something like: Initializating PCI bus not found...or something like that. When it get's to a prompt, the graphics are obviously just the basic ones.

With Fedora, it recognized all my hardware w/o a hitch. Ubuntu says it's Linux for real people but I'll tell ya, getting Fedora up and running the way I wanted was about was about 20 times easier then ubuntu (which I sorta gave up on cuz it just doesn't seem to like my hardware and it's rediculous to spend a day trying to get it to work with it.) Fedora was literally up and configured and working fine in ~1hr.

9. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

Root account is disabled by default as a security measure. (Sudo is the way to go)

Ubuntu doesn't ship with ATI or Nvidia drivers by default. Synaptic will take care of this for you. Or you can use a python program called Easy Ubuntu.

Also refer to http://www.ubuntuguide.org

For the OP
    From what I've read, if you're gonna run a server, then use the Server CD. It comes with less stuff installed, making it a little easier to pinpoint any problems that may come. This guide may help a little; its pretty straightforward, just install what you need.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Isn't it called Automatix these days? Or is EasyUbuntu still around?

11. Coottie

Thanks for the suggestions I appreaciate you trying to help.

At this point, with school starting on Monday, I'm prolly just gonna stick with my Fedora Installation. Ubuntu seems like another steep learning curve for me (being so unfamiliar with Linux) and Fedora has some really nice features already available in the GUI. Why take all the time to get comfortable and familiar with Ubuntu when it certainly doesn't seem to be any easier?

12. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

EasyUbuntu is still around. I haven't used automatix, but I hear its good. I just use easy to install a few things anyway, like VGA drivers, mp3, and dvd codecs.