Ubuntu Mobile

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by piratepenguin, Feb 26, 2008.

1. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile

What I think is most interesting about this is how Canonical are, as many people I have encountered argued for, apparently working with patent owners to provide licenses to provide media codecs out of the box for users. Maybe they'll do that for usual Ubuntu some day, using profits and bulk-deals from Ubuntu Mobile?

Canonical are definitely gearing themselves up to wage for some serious market share in mobile and desktop and enterprise markets, and I imagine the world will find it convenient too.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

God, Canonical just does such a great job of making Linux look good. I honestly don't think most distro groups understand the importance of keeping the GUI up-to-date; as long as the OS does the same basic stuff as Windows or OSX, people aren't going to care what's under the hood, but if it looks outdated, then it might as well be outdated. Perception is reality.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

linux is not ready for mainstream desktop use. Canonical will not change that. Companies have already found a niche in embedded devices and whatnot and Canonical is actually late to the party.