Ubuntu feels slow and sluggish... wtf

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RyanL, Aug 4, 2005.

1. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

So, everyone is raving about ubuntu, I even installed it on a few friends computers. Figured I would give it a go on my system so see if it's all its cracked up to be.

However it runs sluggish for me. I have an ATI card and I know ATI's 2d sucks in linux, but everything just seems slower and bogged down then it did in windows.

Am I missing something here cause this should be running a whole lot better then it is...

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

What exactly is slow? Just drawing on the screen? ATI and linux don't mix, for one.

3. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Yeah I they don't mix but I don't think that is the problem, entirely.

It feels like I am running ubuntu on a 1ghz with 256mb ram instead of 3200barton with 1gb of ram. Firefox, mp3 playing, and all of that seemed to run much better under windows, and that really isn't how it should be.

I at a lost, the only thing that I can think of is I have a handful of unsupported hardware that was detected, but unless there is some screwed up driver messing with the system that shouldn't change anything.

4. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

My ATI hardware has always performed adequately or better. I even run a few games in Cedega, without a hitch..

So I wouldn't go as far as to say ATI and Linux don't mix, though certainly there are other cards that work better -- I'm sure.

5. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

I would and will go as far as to say ATI and Linux don't mix. Take two windows equivalent (meaning that the card preform the same in windows) graphic cards, one ATI and one NVIDIA and the NVIDIA one is going to come out ahead. Exspecially in 2D rendering and when it comes to configuration issues.

Google around on it, there are a ton of people who can offer more insite into this then I can.

But back to the slow thing, I've come to the conclusion that it is a combination of the install being on a slightly slower hd, having slower internet in linux, and ATI poor 2D rendering. I should be able to fix the internet issues, I just haven't had the energy to tackle it yet.

6. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I got the Ubuntu discs when everyone started sackriding on it.
    The Live disc works great on my laptop, but when I go to install it, I can never get it to fucking work with the laptop monitor.
    However, the laptop is now a dedicated GPS so it's going to stay with WinXP with AstonShell, cause I really don't need the headache of trying to work GPS through Linux.

7. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I installed Ubuntu on my Latitude D600 with a spare drive just to try it out, and I also found it painfully slow. I don't know why that would be. I do only have 256MB at the moment. Processor is a 1.6GHz Pentium M and Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics. Everything appeared to work including the chipset drivers.

Maybe Ubuntu is just too bloated. That's a strange thing to say when Windows XP is far more "snappy" on this system, but I see no other way to explain the overall slowness. In any case it was a big disappointment and a sorry waste of time.

And it still is a total pain in the ass to install anything. I'm continuing to not see any real point to Linux on the desktop.

8. Synner

Synner New Member

A pretty much accepted opinion on this is Gnome, specifically the Metacity WM. It's easy to use, but it eats resources like hell. Look into another WM, I've heard great things about fvwm (although it's not anywhere near as easy to use as Gnome). It could just add to the headache, or it could fix your problem. I'd say give it a shot.

I'm currently running an Inspiron 2650 laptop, Celeron 1.5 with 256Mb, and it's a lot faster than XP was. And I'm even still using gnome. Most of the problem is probably ATi, but a different WM could probably clear a few things up for ya.