ubuntu crew? v. network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Warder60, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Warder60

Warder60 New Member

So with 7.10 release, I finally decided to replace my XP machine with Ubuntu. I burned a live cd, and popped it in, formatted it all, installed it.

Didn't think I'd run into any issues I couldn't figure out, but here's what's happening.
    I can't, and can, access the net.

Things like pidgin, firefox, synaptic packet manager packet downloader thing, don't work.

My router sees the machine, and from the machine I could ping the router and my other comps. I tried pinging google, and received the packets back. So I pinged a few more addresses, all working. So I traceroute to google a few times and I see "local, router, dslmodem, qwest (city A), qwest (A), qwest (B), qwest (C), no-reply.
    To make things more interesting, I live in a campus town, off campus. I tried pinging and tracerouting their homepage. Took a while, but it went through. After which I could access their page through the net, but links off the site end up failing to load.

So not sure what's going on. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I was thinking my ISP might be having issues tonight, but my vista machine is accessing everything fine.

semi-cliffs: new ubuntu user. network should be set up correctly. Can see locals. All other attempts for internet access have failed except 1. Pings respond. Traceroutes go out but eventually no-reply.

2. samm

samm Next in Line

does the same thing happen when you boot from the live CD?

3. Warder60

Warder60 New Member

Yea...

I've been reading the ubuntu forums and sounds like it may be an IPv6 issue. I did a quick check of disabling it in firefox, and now firefox works beautifully. Just need to get everything else working too.

Going to see if I can't make it try IPv4 first, and also see if there's a firmware update for IPv6 support for my router.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

I always disale IPv6 for home machines unless I am testing something particular to that protocol. Not worth the hassle for a basic home machine

5. Warder60

Warder60 New Member

Wanted to post an update on this.

That IPv6 "fix" worked temporarily, and then got even worse than before (couldn't even ping). So I moved on to another solution on the Ubuntu forums, which is adding the OpenDNS addresses to your DNS list. (system - administration - network - DNS... I left my local (192.168.x.x) one, if you see another, probably write it down, and delete it). The OpenDNS IPs are: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (I add both).